Quail: diseases

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankee000

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Recently been reading up on some quail info. Looking to try quail with some of my babies. Just wondering if there's anything I've missed re: potential diseases(even when frozen).

From what I understand they are higher in protein and lower in fat compared to rats pound for pound.

Any other info would be helpful.

Cheers

Google " Australian guidelines for breeding quail for human consumption " and have a read of one of the gov listed sites , seeing as that info is for human consumption any disease etc that you would want to look out for would be listed there

i breed king quail & California Quail.... I have not come in contact with a disease....YET! (touch wood). King's breed like flies! but the Cal's are seasonal and require egg incubation as its hard to get to sit on their eggs in Captivity.

Jap Quail are easy to breed also mate. Egg incubation is required if you want them to produce alot of young. and once hatched if young kept in a clean environment untill they are to the size you reqire im sure you wont have any problems! :) And i was told about the freezing kills disease also.

The two most common feed quails are the King Quail Coturnix chinensis and the Japanese Quail Coturnix coturnix japonica. Both species lay throughout the year as distinct from most less domesticated species which have distinct breeding season. Adult weight of King Quail is 35 – 45 g and for Japanese Quail 150 – 250 g. King Quail are usually mums in brooding eggs, although you sometimes one mum sitting on eggs from others and when it gets up to the 15 to 20 mark, there is a percentage loss. Japanese Quail are often not good mums and the eggs are collected and artificially incubated or put underneath a broody chook.

Danny Brown authored an Australian Birdkeeper book titled “A Guide to… Pigeons, Doves and Quail”, of which I have a copy. I find it an excellent guide to captive husbandry - It is written for those that want to keep and breed these birds. The current price is just over $37 for the soft cover edition. You could probably pick up a cheaper version second hand. Other people may know of other references available.

Hope that is of some help.

Blue

PS When appropriately raised from disease free breeding stock, you should have no problems at all. Freezing kills nearly all disease inducing organisms. So the combination of good starting stock, good husbandry and freezing storage should see you home free of any diseases induced from the birds as a food source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back