BHP shedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortevicar

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
Hi everyone

Last night at around 10pm my yearling BHP seemed to start shedding (she was moving about in her hide) - it has been about 8 days since her eyes went blue.

This morning, I went to check on her, hoping that she had shed, but she had only shed her head and the black colour area of the neck. I misted the enclosure and I am now at work.

Is this normal ? I am assuming it isn't as I've read that once they start shedding it should all happen at once.

When I get home, if she is still in the same situation, should I place her in tepid water to soak? It's just that there is a LOT to shed - at least 140 cms.

Any advice or help?

Thanks
Morris

If she hasnt shed completely when you get home,you can place her i a damp pillow case for 10-15mins,that should do the trick..you may need to help gently to pull it off..Whenever any of my snakes are about to shed i place a water bowl closer to the heat source which increases the humidity..havent had a bad shed in years...

I had issues with my aspidites sloughing last year. My issue was a humidity issue - With the heater on pretty much 24/7 there was very little moisture in the air. Now we are in summer and the heater hasn't been on they are sloughing like champs.

Misting them wasn't an option for me because they really didn't like it. Misting the enclosure made no difference whatsoever. Encouraging them to drink water during the slough cycle helped me a lot. I usually did this by changing the water and making a commotion about it (to get their attention) - They would usually come and investigate and drink at the same time.

Here is a thread I made at the time, which might help out: http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/bhp-assist-shed-pic-heavy-190702/

If she hasnt shed completely when you get home,you can place her i a damp pillow case for 10-15mins,that should do the trick..you may need to help gently to pull it off..Whenever any of my snakes are about to shed i place a water bowl closer to the heat source which increases the humidity..havent had a bad shed in years...

Thanks so much for your help - so you think there is a chance even through she started last night and wasn't fully shed this morning that she could shed the rest during the day?

I had issues with my aspidites sloughing last year. My issue was a humidity issue - With the heater on pretty much 24/7 there was very little moisture in the air. Now we are in summer and the heater hasn't been on they are sloughing like champs.

Misting them wasn't an option for me because they really didn't like it. Misting the enclosure made no difference whatsoever. Encouraging them to drink water during the slough cycle helped me a lot. I usually did this by changing the water and making a commotion about it (to get their attention) - They would usually come and investigate and drink at the same time.

Here is a thread I made at the time, which might help out: http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/bhp-assist-shed-pic-heavy-190702/

Rob72 that thread is GREAT. Very informative and easy to understand. If she hasn't shed by the time I get home I am going to do this. Thanks so much for posting.

Thanks so much for your help - so you think there is a chance even through she started last night and wasn't fully shed this morning that she could shed the rest during the day?

Sorry, I have another question - when you do place the bowl in do you block the ventilation holes?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry, I have another question - when you do place the bowl in do you block the ventilation holes?

Most of my cages have a divider,i place the water bowl in a corner in the warm end...No i dont block any ventilation holes...Since ive been doing this ive had no problems with ANY of my snakes sloughing...A few years ago one of my BHPs used to shed in a thousand pieces...I was told to give this a go and i have had great success...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back