What age can kids safely 'have a hold'

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

montysrainbow

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 22mth old little boy that begs me for a hold of Gorgoo ( 15mth old coastal carpet python) however i wont allow him to incase he squeezes or makes a sudden move. He stands at the enclosure several times a day saying 'Helloooo Gorgoo' and waves to him. Ive let him have the odd pat but thats about it. Do you think theres a certain age thats ok? or does it just depend on the child and snakes personalities? :?

I dont think this is age dependent. I think this is dependent on your trust in him to follow your directions completely.. I think kids this young have yet to develop fear, but also their understanding of cause and effect is limited. So, may not mean to but might (for example) move too fast and scare your snake.. I think the real answer to this question is only with you, you know your snake and you know your son.. I think you need to think about how each would react in certain situations.. :)

In addition to that, I assume you would be right there and closely monitoring the situation, so obviously you would be able to help your littlie alot. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it depends on the child...
How much they understand what you're trying to tell them.
How much you trust them not to "squeeze" or "drop"

I've let young people not so much hold my snakes, but have them "run through" their hands.

It also depends on the snake itself, do you trust the snake enough not to bite?

I don't know as I don't have children, but I think 22 months, is a little young, I would not expect them to understand what you mean and the outcomes of what could happen.

yeah lol Marlon (my son) is like a bull in a china shop and whilst he pats and says 'gentle' as he does it i think i will def wait another couple of yrs before i allow him to hold him solo.

Generally, I just don't think they really understand the meaning behind words like "gentle" at that point in life.. Haha.. They're very cute but generally not really able to understand things like if they squeeze, the snake won't like that (cause and effect) ;).... Aren't all little boys bulls in china shops ;)

At that age he could 'safely' hold a full grown olive... I doubt he could hurt it at any rate. As for Gorgo, I wouldn't. I would consider holding his forearms and allow the snake to move over his hands and arms... possibly... but it would be in the same way that you reach around and help someone learn to use a woodlathe, in other words ready for the slightest issue including from the snake.

I've got a 3 year old and he is still learning to listen to mum and dad for his own benefit, and even then, likes to test the waters. I will be waiting until i can see he's old enough and mature enough to do as he is told, particularly for his own benefit, before i allow him to handle our snake.

Yeah Gruni i dont trust Gorgoo or my little man lol not yet anyway. As Zeusy said they like to test the waters and i know Marlon can go from watching play school in a trans to bomb diving off our lounge in a split second so i wont be taking any risks.

Yeah Gruni i dont trust Gorgoo or my little man lol not yet anyway. As Zeusy said they like to test the waters and i know Marlon can go from watching play school in a trans to bomb diving off our lounge in a split second so i wont be taking any risks.

Haha, my Max loves bomb diving off the couch too and he is 3. lol
Unforutnately, snakes and small children are too unpredictable. A snake thats never bitten "might" still bite for no reason and a child who says they will do as they are told etc may "accidently" squeeze or something. I think it just takes time and knowing your kids and explaining that they might get a bite too.

There is no age limit IMHO, as long as it is fully supervised at all times and the bitey end is kept away from the face, but it also comes down to the personality of the individual snake, if you are hesitant about taking a particular reptile from it's enclosure or you feel your reptile is too snappy then go with your gut, my almost 2yo grandaughter has been handling my 5 yo coastal (with supervision) for almost a year now and in a couple of months i will introduce her to my 2 baby spotties, i think knowledge and respect for the reptiles at a young age is a good life lesson for a growing child.................................................Ron

4 weeks should do it.

Don't let this picture get out into general circulation, I can see the headlines now - " Killer python sizes up baby ready for a feed " - You and your family will get hounded by Today Tonight and/or A Current Affair!

Until the 5 year old coastal decides she smells like a mouse one random day. Eh, what damage could a random python bite do to a 2 year old anyway.

a snake can not be domesticated and even if it could be much like dogs you risk a bite or worse, so letting any child handle any snake at any age is a massive risk you risking a snake phobia, mental anguish, a screaming bleeding kid, injury and or death of the snake and in all honesty the child too, their bones and muscles arnt as hard as an adults and in my opinion its a risk that you take alone, imo, the risk out weighs the rewards 1000 fold.

Nato

Don't let this picture get out into general circulation, I can see the headlines now - " Killer python sizes up baby ready for a feed " - You and your family will get hounded by Today Tonight and/or A Current Affair!

That pic has already created quite the stir on FB last year.... Interesting what people think a little stimi is capable of. Let alone thinking you would risk putting an animal that bites near your baby. I can do anything to my wheatbelts and they just refuse to even open thier mouths. I wouldnt put an imbricata or BHP near the little fella though. I just dont trust them the same.... My boy is 7 months now, cant believe how awesome kids are.. never really liked them before I had my own... Probably still dont like other peoples kids :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I had someone tell me last year on here absolutely adamantly that a Mac could choke out a kid and even an adult if it constricted their neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back