White Brown Snake (not my vid)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosenoose

Legendary
Reaction score
I stumbled across this video and topic on a firearms forum I tend to haunt, and luckily some of the blokes on there are also "snake friendly" shooters with conservation in mind. This however blew me away!

Top looking snake! The poster also put this vid up! Check it out ;)

Supposedly found 50kms out of Canberra. Exactly where I don't know. As I said this isn't my vid or photos but found it extremely interesting!

White brown snake - YouTube!

IMG_1556.jpg

belly.jpg

It's the palest Pseudonaja textilis I've ever seen. It certainly is an exceptional specimen and outside the normal tonal range for this species (despite the very wide range of colours of this species ).

Last edited:
:shock: I am speechless, that brown....well I guess it is a white ;)...is just unbelievable! So gorgeous :D

The bloke in the video said "if this thing was in the wild you would ....".....that and a snake hook make me curious as to if this is wild or not....Gorgeous Snake thanks for sharing Moose

Cheers,
Scott

I'd love to hassle that thing with my camera for a while, great looking Elapid.

Yes, the "wouldn't you have a fit if you saw that in the wild" comment certainly suggests that it's a captive animal. It's behaviour is also less defensive than most wild textilis I've come across, further suggesting that it's a captive snake.
It certainly is an unusual specimen i.e exceptionally pale with black flecks and brown patches on the head and what seems to be a pink mouth and reddish tongue (normally dark). It also seems to have normal coloured eyes (at least they are not obviously pink) suggesting that this animal is leucistic.

Last edited:
This one is phenomenal. I've never seen one that light. It's not leucistic or it wouldn't have ANY markings on it.

It's funny that just like the brown snake...dog excrement also comes in a wide range of brown "colours" including a very pale almost white ;)
But unlike the above inanimate object, P. Textilis can kill you with one bite aaaand they move verrrry quickly.

saw pics of this on FB Snake catcher victoria posted it along with this comment
"Snake Catcher Victoria Australia-It was found by a shooter who fortunatly also loves snakes, it was caught, photographed and released back to live out its life where it belongs.For a white snake to last as long as this one has in the wild is an achievment in itself, its great to see it go back"

"Snake Catcher Victoria Australia-It was found by a shooter who fortunatly also loves snakes, it was caught, photographed and released back to live out its life where it belongs.For a white snake to last as long as this one has in the wild is an achievment in itself, its great to see it go back"

It's amazing how everyone thinks they don't make it in the wild they do, I know of a Albino that has made it to over 5 years old in the wild and is still going strong , it mainly feeds on bats that sleep in the trees where it lives. The brown tree in my aviator was over a year old if not more when I found it and the first spotted found in Townsville was also a yearling and fat as when found

Well thats what i was told...Venomoose would know more about this one than me

It's amazing how everyone thinks they don't make it in the wild they do, I know of a Albino that has made it to over 5 years old in the wild and is still going strong , it mainly feeds on bats that sleep in the trees where it lives. The brown tree in my aviator was over a year old if not more when I found it and the first spotted found in Townsville was also a yearling and fat as when found

Considering how easily the gene is inherited then surely we would be seeing them all the time if most made it to adulthood.

Considering how easily the gene is inherited then surely we would be seeing them all the time if most made it to adulthood.

The albino gene is only easily inherited due to selective breeding in captivity by putting a albino to albino or het , in the wild you don't have that happen sibling to sibling breeding would be very rare in the wild or non existent .

Well thats what i was told...Venomoose would know more about this one than me

I don't know too much about it other than its a pretty terrific looking animal. The guy seems genuine enough. I also tend to carry a snake hook of some kind when I'm out shooting or whatever.

Another thing he said was:

It's an eastern brown. He is leucistic, it's different to albinoism, he still had black eyes but a pink mouth and a red tongue.

Here's a few more pics I've grabbed off the site.

He did also mention it was taken on his iPhone and these particular pics weren't fantastic.

IMG_1567.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

He's certainly a looker, I don't think that's "leucistic" though and texty's all have pink linings to the mouth. You mentioned near Canberra Moose, do you know if it was around Lake George, eastern side, toward Bungendore NSW? I only ask as I have a friend that does snake removals in the area (and knows her stuff) who emailed me earlier this season saying she relocated a very light coloured textillis from a farmer that he found while pulling down an old fenceline. Maybe there's a local population?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back