What age can kids safely 'have a hold'

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had someone tell me last year on here absolutely adamantly that a Mac could choke out a kid and even an adult if it constricted their neck.

why would a mac constict someones neck?

a snake can not be domesticated and even if it could be much like dogs you risk a bite or worse, so letting any child handle any snake at any age is a massive risk you risking a snake phobia, mental anguish, a screaming bleeding kid, injury and or death of the snake and in all honesty the child too, their bones and muscles arnt as hard as an adults and in my opinion its a risk that you take alone, imo, the risk out weighs the rewards 1000 fold.

Nato

Oh my husband just said 'told ya so' he has been telling me this for ever (bit about snakes not being domesticated) he says they are unpredictable and belong in the wild. He doesnt like them though lol.

My hubby and i had a dog for 10 yrs that never even nipped at a person then 1 day out of the blue he tried to bite my brothers knee cap off! and while i was bathing my brothers knee he came back for seconds :shock: and that was after a good wack and few choice words were said......we had him put down that afternoon :( broke our hearts but had to be done as we didnt want to risk him doing the same to our boys. I guess what im saying is that ANY pet can be dangerous and u just never know when something might set them off.

And no im not saying that i would do the same to my snake if he became a biter, but i sure would give him away to someone that new how to handle him.

Last edited:
Oh my husband just said 'told ya so' he has been telling me this for ever (bit about snakes not being domesticated) he says they are unpredictable and belong in the wild. He doesnt like them though lol.

My hubby and i had a dog for 10 yrs that never even nipped at a person then 1 day out of the blue he tried to bite my brothers knee cap off! and while i was bathing my brothers knee he came back for seconds :shock: and that was after a good wack and few choice words were said......we had him put down that afternoon :( broke our hearts but had to be done as we didnt want to risk him doing the same to our boys. I guess what im saying is that ANY pet can be dangerous and u just never know when something might set them off.

I dissagree. Some pets are too small to be "dangerous". A pet rabbit could bite a child. Is it considers dangerous? I don't think so...

I dissagree. Some pets are too small to be "dangerous". A pet rabbit could bite a child. Is it considers dangerous? I don't think so...

yeah its not the small pets u gotta worry about, but in saying that my younger brother got bitten by a rat when we were kids and his finger got heaps infected lol.

Last edited:
Deffinatly depends on the child,

I have mates over 20 that i would'nt let hold but i have a niece that is very gentle and i permit to handle under supervision at the age of 4

Ever dealt with a really annoyed Marmoset monkey that hates you?

no lol and i cant say i want to! my husband did poke his finger in a monkeys cage many yrs ago and it pounced on it and tried to have a nibble :lol:near gave my hubby a heart attack but his fault 4 poking it in there lol.

Last edited:
Ever dealt with a really annoyed Marmoset monkey that hates you?

I feel really cruel now. We've been giving my nephew a hard time about his total freak out with a thumb sized, Pygmy Marmoset at the wildlife park...he even dropped his ipod:)!

I don't know you can't trust those killer bunnies. :) In all seriousness I have a couple of scars on my fingers from a pet rabbit that I picked up when I was 3. I don't think I would really mind if people put down their rabbits.

@montysrainbow snakes don't become biters. It is a defence mechanism. There is almost always a reason for them to bite with the exception of complete psychos that normally just come out of the egg that way.

As for the original question, it really comes down to the child and how well you know your animal. I have allowed my 2 year old cousin to hold my woma. I kept control of the head while he practiced "being a tree". But I would never allow his older brother, my 5 year old cousin to hold my snakes. When Mr 5, comes over I add another lock to my enclosure and hide the keys up high in separate places.

Last edited:
Family friends of ours have a young girl not sure of age, 4-5, she is obsessed with my herps, she begs for a hold every 10 seconds, I always let her hole my stimmie cause she's a puppy dog, she understands gentle and such and is quite good with her BUT.
I find that kids that do understand GENTLE, also think that dropping the animal could be harmful so when a not great climber like a stimi doesn't hold on tight Iv noticed youngens panic and clench.
This has given me a scare more than once.

most young kids have no concept of "gentle". their attention span is that of a goldfish. One minute it's all very sweet and gentle, the next, they're squeezing the poor animal or drop it. My 10 y o nephew likes to hold my girl and I have shown him many times how to hold her. and I have to repeat myself again and again... and again.
not sure who stresses more - snake or me. so IMO kids under 5 would be a definite no.

I believe it depends on the animal and the child.

My (now 10 year old) son was handling a friends juvie Diamond under controlled supervision when he was 4. The snake was super placid, and not large. Sure it might bite and inflict a wound, but it was not large enough to inflict any substantial damage.

Our boy is a natural 'reptile whisperer'....I have never seen anything like him. Beardies on the farm that we cannot get within cooee of he manages to 'whisper' up onto his arm and he walk around patting them. He had a certain level of natural maturity around animals and particularly reptiles. Others whom we associate with in the reptile world today often comment on it.

Our daughter, on the other hand, is a totally different story and is only just starting to understand the term 'gentle' and 'slow movements' and she is going on 7. She is only now starting to get very limited and controlled/supervised handling of hatchies and the odd very well known and mannered adult but only under very strict supervision and control. There is no way on gods earth we would have let her near a juvie at 4 years of age like her brother.

These 2 kids are like chalk and cheese. I do not believe there is an 'age' where kids can handle reptiles.....from my own experience it is very much dependent on the kids themselves, and to a degree the animals they are handling.

My two and three year old neices love to hold my boy carpet when they come to visit.
Having said that they both follow instructions quite well. Hands must remain flat, no questions asked or it the last time... Still it does make me a little nervous, don't think that cam be helped its normal.

It definately depends on the both the size and behaviour of both the child and the snake. If in doubt, you can always try the mutual holding technique, which I often use with nervous people... and it's also a policy for ALL visitors at many major zoos for the safety of the snake. Basically, kid holds the tail end, you hold the head end. Thus allowing the child to hold it, but removing the potential for the snake to get dropped and minimising the likelihood of the child getting nipped or making it nervous.

Some responses on here are hilarious, it's good to see however that there are many level headed people posting as well. The way I see it, if the snake is large enough to inflict serious harm (anything that will draw serious blood) then it should not be given to children to hold without you holding the business end. I had a pair of spotted pythons that were placid enough I could if I wanted throw them around with no sign of aggression that I allowed a younger family member as young as 4 to walk around.with it around her neck. The spotteds were only young < 60cm and posed no serious threat if they did decide to bite other then scaring the hell out of her and maybe a tiny bit of blood. Would I do the same with a even half grown carpet? No way. It's common sense really !

Last edited by a moderator:
how much do u trust them???
how bout if u sat down and u held him together, like maybe half half...

it depends how placid the snake is and how much you trust the kid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back