Bearded Dragons Eating and Scared

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wastedgriny

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am making this thread because i need help with two things. First my bearded dragons aren't eating pellets that i'm trying to feed them. They will eat literally anything else. They tried eating PS3 controller when I was playing but they will not eat or even taste the pellets. Second is they are very scared when I try to pick them up, they will run away and I cannot get them to walk onto my hand, I'm not aggressive and grab them by their heads or tail. I just put my hand in front of them and scoop them up until they walk onto my hand but the sprint across their enclosure. When I do finally get them onto my hand and sit down and put them on my shoulder they jump off even if I'm walking. Please post any suggestions I am running out of money for crickets and I also don't want them to break a bone trying to get away from me! :(

some have said the pellets need to be softened by water and i think some said you could use juice but im unsure what kind of juice

you should also be offering them some salad stuff and grab some small woodies as well

as for getting them used to being handled just patience and time and for now perhaps just holding them gently in your hand with the other hand softly over the top of them until they are used to you?

im sure others will have better answers for you, good luck

If i was a Beardie, i wouldnt eat the pellets either..
Give them fresh salad/veges each day.. Bok choy, mushrooms, carrot, apple, peas, blueberries, strawberries, dandelions etc etc. if they are young they need insects, maybe try breeding your own Wood Roaches?
A colony will cost you around 60-70$ to start off with, but should last a fair while and they will continue to breed..

When you pick them up, just grab them under the tummy..support all their body and legs. Maybe dont walk around with them on your shoulders if they like to jump off..

If i was a Beardie, i wouldnt eat the pellets either..
Give them fresh salad/veges each day.. Bok choy, mushrooms, carrot, apple, peas, blueberries, strawberries, dandelions etc etc. if they are young they need insects, maybe try breeding your own Wood Roaches?
A colony will cost you around 60-70$ to start off with, but should last a fair while and they will continue to breed..

When you pick them up, just grab them under the tummy..support all their body and legs. Maybe dont walk around with them on your shoulders if they like to jump off..

Our beardies eat better than we do. They go crazy for snow peas and strawberries. For a treat we give them waxies, one each. Little pinner crickets for babies. Kale, dandelion greens, bok choy, collards, carrots and just about any other kind of fruit or veg you can think of.

Like posted before, babies need more meat than vegs, but still offer the veggies. Once they get older more vegs than meat. By meat I'm talking crickets and woodies, mealies and waxies, just to clarify.

Let them get used to you, its a big bad world to them and everything is out to get them. Just give them food and water and watch em grow. Enjoy them while they are little, they don't stay that way very long.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

dragons like insects not pellets, the good thing is that pellets make great insect food.

try breeding roaches, easy as to breed and you'll save a tonne of $.

beardies calm down with age, dont expect any immediate miracles, respect their space and give them time to learn to trust you.

My Beardy was real flighty too for the first two months I had her & then this last month she has settled down heaps & I handle her for about 5-10 minutes every day or two... She is now three months old
e6yqa6am.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back