The Yellow Faced Whip Snake Thread

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NicG

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

There seems to be dearth of information and photos on Yellow Faced Whip Snakes (Demansia psammophis) in this forum, so I'm starting this thread in the hope that it will become useful place for people to start looking.

I recently took possession of my first YFWS and, since she just shed, thought it was a good time to take a couple of photos to share ...

YFWSfemale1a.jpgYFWSfemale1b.jpg

Please note that all whip snakes are elapids and therefore potentially dangerously venomous. They should not be handled by anyone unqualified. Having completed a venomous snake handling course, I've made the decision to free-handle her ... at least until something untoward happens to change my mind. What do other YFWS owners do?

Currently she's being fed on small trout, which she takes both dead and alive. She hasn't shown any interest in goldfish or pinkies at this early stage. Her previous owner fed her skinks and assisted-pinkies.

Please post any photos, answers, questions you might have ...

Thanks in advance,
Nic

Last edited:
Beautiful YFWS you have there, I just purchased my first one a week ago and am picking it up in just over a week. SO excited, they are wonderful little snakes and I will most likely free handle mine as well :)

I was thinking about eventually owning one, i love there markings under the eye. Are they fine to eat mice as a staple diet? or do they have to have fish aswell?

I've never been bitten by wild ones but if you ever have to pin their heads to work with them thats when I see them bite a lot, they hate having their head pinned, but otherwise are ok IMHO.

Nice specimen Nic. This thread is a good initiative, as there's no dedicated Demansia sp. threads.
Do you know whereabouts that specimen is from? I'm guessing it's a southern locality due to the lack of any significant anterior russet colouration.
Their bite is reportedly very painful. Have you ever been bitten by an elapid before? The reason that I ask is because you need to make sure that you're not one of those people that go into anaphylactic shock if you are bitten (although anaphylaxis following snake bite is very rare).

Last edited:

Demansia quaesitor by J. Kelk, on Flickr

I've never noticed any distinguishable pattern change on the east coast population. Different ones pop up every where. I found a blue one not long ago, a completely green one in Brisbane and also a pair of completely red yellow faces in Sydney.

Last edited:
I believe it's from the South East. Interestingly, she seems to be significantly lighter after this shed than sfter the previous one. But maybe that's just my perception.

I haven't yet been bitten by an elapid, but I am aware of the possible risk of anaphylaxis. Part of my research involved talking to people who have been bitten by yellow faced whip snakes. As far as I'm aware, the only way to determine if you're allergic is to actually get bitten - something that I'm not in a hurry to institute.

I'm purchasing an epipen just in case. That way if I get bitten I can get one of my parents to monitor me and use the epipen and take me to hospital if needed. Saying that I am not allergic to anything I have come across before and I've been bitten by a rather large number of critters.

I believe it's from the South East. Interestingly, she seems to be significantly lighter after this shed than sfter the previous one. But maybe that's just my perception.

I haven't yet been bitten by an elapid, but I am aware of the possible risk of anaphylaxis. Part of my research involved talking to people who have been bitten by yellow faced whip snakes. As far as I'm aware, the only way to determine if you're allergic is to actually get bitten - something that I'm not in a hurry to institute.
I thought so, as I've noticed a tendency for southern populations to have less red on them, like yours.
It's good that you haven't been bitten. It's something to be proud of. It's good to hear that you researched cases of bites in this species beforehand. You're pushing your luck a bit by free-handling imo, however it sounds like it's a considered decision and calculated risk. As long as you don't restrain it whilst free-handling, as Cement mentions you will hopefully be OK.

I'm purchasing an epipen just in case. That way if I get bitten I can get one of my parents to monitor me and use the epipen and take me to hospital if needed. Saying that I am not allergic to anything I have come across before and I've been bitten by a rather large number of critters.
That's very sensible and wise of you Barrett. I hope that others reading this take the same precaution.

I've never noticed any distinguishable pattern change on the east coast population. Different ones pop up every where. I found a blue one not long ago, a completely green one in Brisbane and also a pair of completely red yellow faces in Sydney.
That's interesting. Those unusual specimens sound beautiful.

Anaphylaxis requires prior sensitization, so unless you are coming into contact with the venom from other sources chances of anaphylaxis from a first bite is slim. You can also develop anaphylaxis at any point after the initial time you come into contact with the antigen, so just because you have been bitten several times with no reaction doesn't mean a future bite won't trigger anaphlyaxis.

Sorry to take the thread off topic but thought it was worth mentioning.

Thanks for that information JP2. I agree that this is well worth mentioning, since we are discussing it here anyway, we should have all the facts.

Thanks for contributing, Demansiaphile. Did you manage to capture any of those psammophis colour phases on [virtual] film?

Bumping this for interests sake. Wouldn't mind finding out some more info on them myself..

How venomous are these? Equivalent to a night tiger?

Never heard much about these snakes

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

They are very attractive little snakes, and we see them commonly every summer around the house & in the garden up here in Telegraph Point. But I have to say that the nicest ones I've seen (may be a different subspecies by now) are from SW WA, brilliant orange heads & tails with a light and dark green netted patterned midsection. The big eye and bright yellow "comma" on the face is fantastic. Bloody hard to catch on a hot day though!

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back