America's Animal Hoarders: Horror At The Zoo

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A domestic dog breed (ANY BREED) is incomparable to any big cat.

"a tragedy that could only happen in America" this statement is completely inaccurate there are a multitude of nations that allow private ownership of big cats as well as other "exotic" wildlife.

yes very sad, but if they had been trained for this situation it could have ended a bit better. a 4x4 and a few blokes with tranquilizers could have accessed the property and saved most of them.
(this - as they explained was not possible as there were too many animals loose, posing too much of a danger to perform this, and not enough of a supply of tranquiliser)

but insted they hassled him about how he kept them, no laws were in place to make him put secure locks on inclosures (which would not have helped as he used bolt cutters to cut the wire). and knowing he was unstable, that his missus left and that he just got out of jail. they still did not prepare incase it got out of hand. they had to have thought what will we do if any of his animals ever escape, just shoot it would have been the answer. also there was a baboon that got out to and it was killed.

it all came down to:

laws not being placed to protect these animals
the owner going nuts
and law enforcement knowing the situation and not coming up with a safety plan

i hope they learnt from this.

Exactly my point. remember too this was a small rural town of less than 800 people, law enforcement not being prepared does have some mitigating circumstances to it...

The other thing with the tranqs was, as explained they can take up to ten minutes to work and on bears and tigers they are the most unpredictable when it comes to tranq qorking on them and what the animals can still do before the tranq takes effect.
The nearest zoo was over an hour away, wasn't large and only employed seven staff...

A domestic dog breed (ANY BREED) is incomparable to any big cat.

"a tragedy that could only happen in America" this statement is completely inaccurate there are a multitude of nations that allow private ownership of big cats as well as other "exotic" wildlife.

True, but i'm talking about modern western nations, and most other countries have SOME form of law to protect the animals and humans alike.

Last edited:
@ hilly i did watch it if you had read my previous posts you'd know, and i agree the animals off site had to be shot as it was dangerous to the public. but if they had a safety plan and tranquilers at the sheriffs it would have been different. as the zoo was 1 hour away and by the time she got there, there was only 1 animal she could try to save and they went of foot to tranquilize a tiger something she had never done.

Last edited:
I did read your post, Cops having tranquilizers won't change the fact that it takes 10-15 minutes for it to take effect and then you'll have people who have no idea of the correct dosages or how the animals will react. It only makes the situation more dangerous.

It is a sad situation, however I don't think that ALL the animal keepers in the country should be penalised because of the actions of one unstable individual, just as I don't believe all dogs of a particular breed should be penalised because of the actions of a few badly bred/badly cared for individuals.
It is nothing but a damn shame that it had to happen the way it did, but unfortunately in order to preserve human life, sometimes these things need to be done (not that I think that most human life is worth preserving, but that's not the point here.)

Even more unfortunately, this kind of freak incident is exactly the thing that the pollies love, because it does enable them to make knee-jerk reactionary laws, so they are seen as "doing something". Unfortunately for the rest of us, that "something" is only having a negative effect on their freedoms and their ability to keep their pets responsibly.
That said, I do think that some restrictions are necessary, I don't believe that Lions and other examples of large animals (or other animals that have ridiculous requirements) should be able to be kept by private keepers unless they can prove that they have adequate facilities/knowledge to keep them, and that is simply because it is not fair on the animal. You can't in all fairness keep a bear or a lion in a cage and expect it to thrive.

I did read your post, Cops having tranquilizers won't change the fact that it takes 10-15 minutes for it to take effect and then you'll have people who have no idea of the correct dosages or how the animals will react. It only makes the situation more dangerous.

if they had be trained and had a safety plan for wen somethink like this happened, or if even 1 animal got out by accident they would know what does to use and how the animal would re-act. and to not go on foot but shoot from a 4x4 from a safe distance.

and 10-15 minutes does not apply to all animals, it was the tigers and bears that were more of a concern.

Yeah that's right, the lions are completely different, they would be out cold instantly. You should volunteer your services as a consultant to the police and the nearby zoos, you've got all the answers.

lol, i never said they would be out cold instantly. we don't have this type of problem here as we can'y keep exotic animals as pets so they don't need help. also i don't have all the answers, i have my own opinion on how they could have dealt with this better.

if your gonna allow people to own dangerous exotic pets then make sure law enforcment is trained and equiped to deal with this.

Last edited:
All i will add is that i watched it too and it was sooooo interesting! sad but interesting story. that is all :)

Actually we can keep exotic pets here, under the appropriate licenses. There's a facility that house big cats 11km from my house. And as a former member of an emergency service I can assure you there's no training for escaped animals.

Did you even watch the documentary!?

It's about what happened when ONE man, ONE individual who had a grudge against his local council and committed suicide when his wife left him. That was the straw that broke the camels back in a long list of other issues that led to the suicide, but it's what he did immediately before he killed himself that is the tragedy.

He was the owner of over 50 exotic animals including lions, tigers, black bears, brown bears, jaguars, leopards and baboons.
Before he committed suicide he opened the gates to ALL his enclosures and cut holes in the fences so the animals couldn't be re-secured.
It was in a small town where his property backed onto the interstate highway and he was less than 2 miles from the centre of town and schools.

The story is about the tragedy of the police department having no choice but to put down all the animals that had escaped and WERE AN IMMEDIATE THREAT to the entire town. It was the last resort and they had no choice.
The awful, tearful testimony of the officers recounting having to kill these majestic creatures is something I will never forget. And something they will never forget because of ONE reckless persons selfish actions.

This happened in Zanesville, Ohio. One of seven US states that has almost ZERO laws when it comes to the keeping of exotic animals.

My point was that if US states had correct, informed and fair laws and legislations that this tragedy never would have happened as the animals could never have been put in that situation.

In the end they had to kill 6 black bears, 2 brown bears, 9 African lionesses, 8 male African lions and 18 tigers. They had no choice.
As one officer stated amid tears; "That day we killed the equivalent of 1% of India's wild tiger population."

It was NOT a PETA documentary, it was not funded by an animal welfare group, it was simply a documentary.

Tell me this is fine. Tell me your rights and liberties are being crushed by bringing in legislation to prevent incidences like this. I dare you.

That's what started this whole OMG the skyzorz is fahleeing. Zanesville Ohio, 50 miles from where I live. I know all about it. And like I said, knee jerk reactions. It was horrible what happened there. Horrible. I've never EVER once said it was fine...never. I've said that there should be regs on owning those exotics. Lions, tigers, bears those things absolutely. I agree 100%. I've said that time and time again. I might even be ok if they would add monitors over 2' or something.

Oh, I just watched a documentary on how if it were not for beer, the world would be totally different. It was a real honest to goodness documentary. No spins or plays on words or even twisting the truth. You should watch it.

Oh and I also watched a TV show with a guy who has many lions, tigers, jaguars and several other big cats on his property. He also has a vet on hand to look after them. They need to tranq the animals to get them to the vet table, sometimes it takes two shots from the gun.

If I'm not mistaken "we" were told there was nothing that could be done these animals had to be killed.

One says they do, one says says they don't. People were scared.

I'm not knocking you or trying in any way to discredit the doco. Not in a million years. What I am saying is, here like other places, the powers at be decide to get involved and go from one extreme to the other.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Actually we can keep exotic pets here, under the appropriate licenses. There's a facility that house big cats 11km from my house. And as a former member of an emergency service I can assure you there's no training for escaped animals.

Exactly my point, there is no licensing, pre-training requisites or regulations on owning these animals whatsoever in many US states, which is what leads to these types of incidents.

That's what started this whole OMG the skyzorz is fahleeing. Zanesville Ohio, 50 miles from where I live. I know all about it. And like I said, knee jerk reactions. It was horrible what happened there. Horrible. I've never EVER once said it was fine...never. I've said that there should be regs on owning those exotics. Lions, tigers, bears those things absolutely. I agree 100%. I've said that time and time again. I might even be ok if they would add monitors over 2' or something.

Oh, I just watched a documentary on how if it were not for beer, the world would be totally different. It was a real honest to goodness documentary. No spins or plays on words or even twisting the truth. You should watch it.

Oh and I also watched a TV show with a guy who has many lions, tigers, jaguars and several other big cats on his property. He also has a vet on hand to look after them. They need to tranq the animals to get them to the vet table, sometimes it takes two shots from the gun.

If I'm not mistaken "we" were told there was nothing that could be done these animals had to be killed.

One says they do, one says says they don't. People were scared.

I'm not knocking you or trying in any way to discredit the doco. Not in a million years. What I am saying is, here like other places, the powers at be decide to get involved and go from one extreme to the other.

Agreed, you don't need knee jerk, sudden blanket policies on this. What the US does need is well planned, informed, and realistic legislations drafted. And those types of things take years to draw up, but thats how it should be to be fair for the liberties of humans and animals alike.
Unfortunately I can't see this happening any time soon.

Look up how long it took for our own Wildlife Act of 1974 to be drafted, over 2 years.

wow that was interesting lol VideoWeed - Get high on VideoWeed | Flash Video Hosting
aha they couldnt get a funnier link name lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back