Cray fish

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PieBald

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has got any info on how to breed blue claw? I have them set up outside in a pond.

Old car tyres, lie flat on ground on plastic, fill the centre with sand and the inner with water.An island of sand with a moat.

you got males and females? an easy way to tell is grab them by the carapace flip them over i think it ws near the tails if it has 2 circles its a male and if it has no markings its a female correct me if im wrong, its awesome watching the yabbie babies sooo tiny and transparent lol

So veggies, fish, seaweed, how much can they eat. I have heard that they can over eat and die. Is this true.

Over eating and die? I don't think so...
I've kept yabbies before and they will happily eat carrots and what you mentioned.
Just make sure they get enough to eat and they won't eat each other.
Still not sure on over eating but doubt it.

Oh i heard give them carrot then if the don't eat it get it out within two hours...... Not all information on the web is true I guess. How do you go about breeding them?

Canned catfood goes alright, not sure if its any good for them but they love the stuff (chunky pilchard ;)).. It's my main go to bait to throw in my traps when I'm out doing a bass fishing session.

If uneatin scraps get left in they just make the tank or pond disgusting.
Breeding is easy if animals are well fed.

Crayfish are very easy to sex. As long as you have a male and female they will breed in just about any body of water. I keep 4 - 5 females with 1 male in a tank. When females have babies under the tail i separate them until the babies drop off. The female is then put back into the main tank and the babies are reared seperately. As they grow i seperate them according to size. if you dont do this a lot of fighting will occur and the larger ones may kill the smaller ones.
Ads

Attachments

• IMG_1140 copy copy.jpg
    IMG_1140 copy copy.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1143 copy.jpg
    IMG_1143 copy.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 28
The tyre technique is very good and I use about 6 females to 1 male in a 4 wheel drive tyre. Just make sure there is water in the sides and on top of the sand.Here's a good link [FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.australianfreshwaterturtles.com.au/forum/showthread.php?4264-Yabby-Breeding-Sheet[/FONT]

I also keep a few in fish tanks as I like to show them on display.
All Mine eat boc Choy stumps, carrot and yabbie food.
Once a female Is pregnant I will separate her until the eggs hatch and then add her to the breeding cage.

Thanks a lot, i will try the tyre thing and have a crack at sexing them myself. I might use gloves in case they bite.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back