Heating for hatchys..Globes from Bunnings vs Basking lights???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sofoula88

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have read a few threads on here about people using lights from bunnings for their heating needs. I have bearded dragon hatchlings on the way and was planning to get the usual reptile basking globes I've always used. They usually last me about 3-4 months and haven't had a problem with them. However I am starting to question what and if there is any difference between a globe specifically made for reptiles and a normal house hold/spot kind of globe from bunnings. Basically I wanna know if there is any difference, and if they are ok to use from bunnings which should I get. Obviously will be using reptile uv to be safe but in terms of heating if there are globes out there that do the same job at a lower price I'd be willing to try them.
If anyone has successfully used these please let me know which ones you got and The wattages they come in... Or if I should just stick to my regular basking globes
thanks

Last edited:
i use those little spotlights (downlights) they seem to produce heat or you maybe could try halogen bulbs they look like a normal lightbulb with the screw in fitting(e27i think it was) but they are pretty bright lol

The main difference between globes for general use and reptile use is how they direct the light/heat.
general use globes usually have a wide lighting arc (Say 120 degrees) where as most reptile globes using a reflective coating on the globe, have a a smaller focus point to concentrate the heat on a desired area.

Phillips SPOTONE globes might be suitable.
They focus most of the light/heat in a smaller area than typical globes.
I used them for my EWD when it was young and would get temps around 35*C at 15 cms away using a 60W globe. They are made in ES.

Ok.. Those ones have an 80 degree area.. Don't know if that makes any difference or not.. Will be in a small 2 ft tank so don't want to overload with heat.. Probably a 60-75watt max would suit to heat up a tank that size

Didn't like any of the globes there .. The Phillip reflector was rather large and the spot one looked ok but a little cheaply made .. So think I'll just pay the extra and get the reptile basking lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back