Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

apprenticegnome

Reaction score
I am not that versed in what I assume are Latin names for snakes and lizards and after reading replies to some posts over the last few years I felt it would be a good question. Why do some people tend to use Latin names when replying to posts that have been using common names, eg: rattling off 8 to 10 names that are complex to the novice when using common names really would have sufficed? Is there a need to do so or are some of these trying to impress others with their knowledge? I have read some herping posts were people will talk about monitors, geckos, jungles, carpets etc and out of the blue someone posts a barrage of Latin names they have seen. I then leave the post because I'm absolutely out of my element and lost. I then wonder how the other novices and newbies to the hobby go when they encounter the same. I'm not having a go at anyone but am curious to the necessity in some posts? No flaming required, just opinions.

there is this thing called google?
if youre not sure its a good way to learn them.
alot of australian herps dont have common names and the use of latin names is much easier and much less confusing than saying whip snake and people go what. parasuta or demansia?

What got me questioning it was I get so far into a thread were everyone uses common names and someone blurts out a heap of scientific names when if they'd stuck to the common ones myself and newbies are still able to follow.

there is also the issue of grouping, for example instead of just saying knob tail it makes it much clearer for people to say nephrurus levis, amyae etc. Same with capet pythons. there is also the case that so many reptiles are so variable in pattern and colour that it just makes things simpler and clearer. As richoman has stated, google is invaluable, it doesnt take to long to pick up the scientific names if you look them up as you come across them.

Best way is to learn them.
You'll be become familiar with them after a while, just practice!

i agree with chicken thats a great site, i like using latin names because its just easyer for me haha i have been using them from a very early age and thats why i like to use them and its another little fact i like to add after i use the common name if that makes sence lol

Just some posts use a large amount of them that it is too time consuming for me to look up and follow. Im struggling on my feet at the moment from back surgery and cant sit so Im even more limited time wise on the computer.

well if its really that much of a worry try and learn them? google it! .. you will get so used to them after a while
i learnt every australian herps latin name off by heart in a year.

as i said ... not everything has a common name. if i say something like spiny tailed gecko which species do i mean? i can be much more specific and just say strophurus krisalys

Latin names stick very quickly if you have a deep interest in reptiles, it's amazing how easily they sink in when the interest is there. Get a field guide and just read it - it's a priceless tool.

90% PLUS HAVE COMMON NAMES ITS JUST A LOT OF FIVE MINUTE HERPERS TRYING TO LOOK TECHINICAL (IMO) ......solar 17

IT'S ACTUALLY SOME PEOPLE BEING MORE SPECIFIC ABOUT A SPECIES. INSTEAD OF SAYING COPPERHEAD, COPPERHEAD, COPPERHEAD, COPPERHEAD OR COPPERHEAD WHICH COULD BE FIVE (5) DIFFERENT SPECIES IN DIFFERENT COUNTRIES, THEY COULD JUST SAY Austrelaps ramsayi AND PEOPLE WILL KNOW THE EXACT SPECIES THEY ARE REFERRING TOO ............skinks

SKINKS IT IS MUCH EASIER TO SAY WESTERN BROWN SNAKE OR BLUE TONGUE THAN SAY ALL THESE IMPOSSIBLE TO LEARN SCIENTIFIC NAMES LIKE MENGDEANITLI AND SCINGIOSDS .... richo

Play nice all. Each are entitled to their opinions

Thanks Solar, I felt that in some posts it was more practical if common names could be used so it didn't narrow down the field of readers and didn't discourage some who have no desire to learn the scientific names. I understand there are cases were it is practical but I wondered if sometimes it is overused. I found doing a venomous snake handlimg course that the instructor used scientific names and a fair percentage of the class would be half interested but he would then use common names and the class attention came back. I appreciate everyones opinions though and do intend to learn for my own benefit.

Seriously though, often there are commonly used 'common' names which are easily recognised, it's just that latin names are a lot more accurate to what the species actually is. A good example is if someone says Death Adder - but that could mean a whole heap of different species e.g. Acanthophis antarcticus, A. praelongus, A.pyrrhus, A. wellsi, etc.. if the latin name is used than the exact species being referred to is known.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back