Bulgul and Wagiman

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNT

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
So you mob must be getting bored with all this stuff but I just had another few days of new country for me with the people who know it better than anyone else. This forum gives me the chance to share with others who appreciate this stuff. Otherwise who but my work mates would see what I see?

This week I went to Bulgul, a tiny community on the coast just north of the Daly River mouth then Wagiman Country in the southern Daly region. We were concentrating on putting in photo points on concentrations of fire sensitive species and sacred sites.

We found a third location for a grevillia species previously known from only two tiny populations, a major weed species in a small town that, had it got away, could have become the next vegetable cane toad in the Top End, watched hundreds of thousands of fruit bats gather overhead then disappear in a minute, crossed swamps and stony ranges in 4WDs, on quad bikes and on foot where that was the only option. In short I just had a hot, sweaty experience no millionaire could buy.

BULGUL

DSC_0016_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0012_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0007_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0006_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0007_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0011_edited-1.jpg

these livistonia palms are disappearing from fire and cattle eating the young plants, fire breaks and fencing will keep them going.

DSC_0024_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0022_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0020_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0017_edited-1.jpg

BATS

DSC_0051_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0049_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0044_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0041.jpg
DSC_0038_edited-1.jpg

WAGIMAN

DSC_0068_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0060_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0066_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0067_edited-1.jpg

This is a special place, it doesn't look like much but I had to get the books out to identify 5 plant species on this one small ridge. First time in many years (I'm pretty good with my plants). The spring only runs 500 meters but runs all year, it's milky now from the rain but usually clear.
You can see fire has crept in last year and destroyed a number of mature Lancewoods (Acacia shirleyi) but young trees are growing through the bones of their parents. This is by far their most northern occurence, (There is a traditional story about how they got here). This rare eucalypt looks like some huge beast has dug it's claws into it.

DSC_0089_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0087_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0081_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0077_edited-1.jpg

Cypress Pine stand. These trees die if they get burnt two years in a row. They have largely disappeared from the woodlands in the last century. This grove now has a protection plan. Northern bower birds love cypress because it is unlikely their bower of sticks will be burnt. Trees have been cut down but because the timber doesn't rot and insects dont touch them they could have been removed in the 1930s! Cedric is the TO for this country and very pleased to help us help him in his duty.

DSC_0094_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0095_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0097_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0099_edited-1.jpg

This is Grevillea Benthamiana, now known from THREE locations in the universe! This first one spotted on the side of the road led us to the population on the stony hill above. G decurrens (pic 2 )is his "countryman" but can be found in many places. Pic 3 is an undescribed grevillia known from several locations but probably a few seperate species when the work is done. But this little fella is literally hen's teeth. Gold is easier to find, but not worth as much :)

GREVILLIA BENTHAMIANA

DSC_0101_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0104_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0106_edited-1.jpg
DSC_0110_edited-1.jpg

At least for Countrymen and me.

cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Your stuff is better reading than most articles pawned off as news.
Thanks for sharing Steve.

I will never get bored of reading these posts about places most people will ever get to see, keep them coming.

Umbral beat me to it!. I too will never grow weary of seeing the pictures and reading the commentary of the places you go. :D

"THIS" is Australia :)

Thank you for sharing with us mere mortals

Cheers
Sandee :)

Thanks for sharing once again Steve.Never get bored at your stuff Steve, most people would never get to see this in their life time.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, As long as you like it I'll keep it coming. My new camera and lens should arrive next week after old faithful took a swim in Bynoe Harbour. Occupational hazard :).

cheers
Steve

Awesome post again :)

What was the weed species?

Rubber Vine. We are trying to stop it coming across the Gulf of Carpentaria and there it was growing in the garden of the Pine Creek Pub. The Wagiman Rangers have removed and burnt it and are hunting the area for any other specimens.

Rubber Vine. We are trying to stop it coming across the Gulf of Carpentaria and there it was growing in the garden of the Pine Creek Pub. The Wagiman Rangers have removed and burnt it and are hunting the area for any other specimens.

Ah yes, it would go nuts in the wetland areas. Plenty of it here in Townsville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back