monitor question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phatty

Reaction score
hi
have done far bit of reading on these guys
I got some ackies a few weeks ago but was wondering how long does it take to shed
one has been shedding since I got them I have soaked them for 20 min each week they have a large water bowl to sit in
and I spray the cage about once a week humdity is about 50%
thanks chris

Unlike snakes that have 1 solid shed. Monitors pretty much constantly shed small peaces of skin. Don't worry about it, it's perfectly normal.

i asked IV once about his lacies shedding and i think he said they continually shed? i don't know if Ackies are the same...

Monitors dont typically do a full body shed like snakes. They will shed pieces of skin over long periods of time (I'm talking months).

I wouldn't think it necessary to soak the animal unless you are keeping it unacceptably dry and hot. If anything, I would be concerned about the tail-tip and the digits. This is where shedding problems seem to occur with monitors.

thank for the advice i got the info on soaking from a uk web site that is why i though i would ask
well i guess they are doing what they are ment to be doing then have been looking at toes the small one i got doesnt have very many at all but the 2 larger one have got all toes :) how do i assist with toe shed i have them on red sand with small rock so i guess if they dig it should remove the toe shed is that correct

In all honesty unless they're display animals it doesn't affect them/ or matter.
My trio always look drabby and patchy, its the feed hour you buy them for!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back