Question about my diamond python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PATROLKING

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all pretty new to this wonderful hobby but I have a question about the Diamond Python . I have a 12 mnth old Diamond had it for about 2 months today I meet a fella that's lives near me who has Diamonds also he asked about my set up I told him I run a heat mat at night and a uv light 2.0 for 12-14 hours a day he told me to can the uv as it will kill my python gradually and not to run a heat mat but just a 100w light bulb instead.We have Diamonds in the wild where I live so I guess the heat isn't a real big issue but all the facts I have read about the Diamond say to run a uv light . Can some of you Diamond owners shed some light on what you run , I just want SHAZZA to be happy as a snake can be .....THANKS

it hasnt been proven one way or the other that uv is necessary for diamonds, some say yes some say no....

are you heating only at night?

hi mate you dont need a uv.... natural sunlight is best i only give mine heat in the morning and late afternoon as diamonds are a cold climate snake they dont go very well with constant heat.
30deg for an hour or so in the morning then leave it at ambient temp for the rest of the day you can give it abit more heat late in the afternoon too.
If you can mimic diamonds in the wild with climate and so on you shouldnt have any problems imo

Whilst you don't need UV for Diamonds, it certainly won't kill them, as this man says :rolleyes:. After all, they naturally bask in the sun on a regular basis. If UV killed Diamonds they'd be extinct in the wild in no time.
Do all the reading and research you can and trust yourself a bit more, as you seem sensible and on the right track. Use your common sense and don't question all you've read previously because someone says something that contradicts everything you've read previously.

How old is it?
you dont need killer UV :shock:
Unless its a hatchie, high heat, not a mat. Heat during the day.

I heat in the morning for an hour or so , then just the UV 2.0 through the day . I run a the heat mat at night but it only uses it for a little while at a time its an active thing but it likes to curl up in the corner behind a log ,I think ill will continue what's doing what's been working through the day with no heat light the temp sits around the 28 degree,in the mornin it usually about 24 degree I m pretty sure SHAZZA is happy she didn't refuse food so all must be good thanks for the feed back its great knowing there is always someone to help cheers.

I also get out the front yard in the sun with it sometimes a few hours can be spent out there I've got an out doors enclosure I built it loves it .

You seem to have similar responses here to the one Im about give you. Dont need UV but although any benefits have yet to be proven it certainly will not kill your snake. Honestly I doubt a UV 2.0 is even going to make a noticeable change in the enclosure depending on the position of the light.
As for heat............I live in Melbourne and my Diamonds have no artificial heat for 10 months of the year and in all honesty they really don't even need that. Using heat mats is a personal choice and not one that I would use, I prefer overhead heating myself, globes, ceramic heat or radiators.

Cheers Paul's_pythons I live on the south coast NSW and if your not running heat mats I don't think I need to you would get a heap colder down there then I will , I just thought it was a crazy thing that the UV would gradually kill my python I might give the UV the flick and just stick to natural UV outside thanks again people .

Diamonds need heat just like any other python. They use it to boost their immune systems and to digest their food. Just because they are the most southern species of python in Australia and they have evolved to live in cooler climate zones then their northern cousins, doesn't mean they should be kept without ADEQUATE heating.
Some of the information I read on here regarding diamonds and what temps to keep them is just flat out wrong. Diamonds will suffer respiratory problems and other ailments if not given proper heating just like any other python.
The important thing to remember for diamonds is not the temperature. I have heard on here that letting them get over 28-30 is bad.Wrong info. I know this because I catch and relocate them, and I check the temps of wild diamonds that I catch. This has helped me with breeding them and keeping them in captivity and my captive diamonds also like to be at temps over 30 degrees, I know this because I often check their temps too.
The MOST important thing regarding temperatures for a diamond is a thermal gradient. It doesn't matter how hot a particular spot is in the enclosure... what matters is, can the snake move to a spot that it likes? I use basking lights that give a hot spot of 35-39 degrees. At times they are well and truly right in there getting full exposure and soaking up that heat. As they reach their preferred body temperature, they simply move off the heat. If they feel like they need warmth then they simply lie on the outskirts of the heat zone. If they feel vulnerable then they can move into a hide which is not in the heated zone and they will curl up tightly and hold the heat they have for hours.
I run their basking heat for 4 hrs from 8am till 12 noon. The rest of the enclosure is at the air ambient temperature of the room. This doesn't go below 20 through summer. Of course if it is a very hot day I just turn all heat off. They get no heat at night, unless they are digesting a meal and I feel the ambient temps are a little cool (usually around autumn, like now when we get these cold fronts) then I set the timer for the basking light to come on for 2 hrs from around 6pm-8pm. This just gives them that extra recharge to assist digestion and I give them that for 1 or 2 days. They can do without this extra, I have caught many diamonds with a belly full and they catch the food one night and eat it, then the bad weather moves in and we get a week of cold weather, but they survive...doesn't mean they don't do it tough though. Why make our pet diamonds suffer the extremes of the wild?
A thermal gradient is important, and ADEQUATE heat is vital for diamonds.
In winter when they are not feeding, they don't get the ambient temps that they get in summer. But they still need that hot basking site to raise their temps so they have a healthy immunity system and they can have heat to curl up with to get through until the next day. In winter I will follow the natural weather conditions and sometimes give them no basking light for up to 4-5 days, but I watch this carefully and give them heat at the end just like they get in the wild once the bad weather is gone and the sun comes out. I have recorded temps of wild diamonds as low as 4 degrees. But I don't let my captives get below 10, and if they go through prolonged cool sessions make sure they get heat at the end of it to recharge the batteries. None of my diamonds get uv. Unless I take them out into the sun.

Last edited:
That is awesome cement great advice thanks a heap I'm going to know change my enclosure tommorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back