Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As has already been said, scientific names certainly have their place in the animal kingdom.

If I told you I kept a 'weero' or a "Quarrion" chances are most wouldn't know what I had. If I told you I had a 'cockatiel' most would know what I had.
If I told you I had a "Nymphicus hollandicus commonly known as a cockatiel" you could google the scientific name and see what I have :)
It doesn't seem to be quite as confusing with reptiles although I'm sure that what we commonly call animals here could be different if you lived overseas.

It's not necessary to include the scientific name in all posts but it certainly helps to identify an animal and helps educate people globally.

I think the use of scientific names is great but I agree with blue it could sometime be helpful to have the common names. In I'D threads I believe the scientific name is important.

Also something to think about the other day someone asked me about centralian carpet pythons. I gave them a blank stare before realising they meant morelia bredli. I guess that is an example of the common name not being so common. :)

You don't tend to say stupid things too often but you've done quite well this time. Real herpers use scientific names, common names are a waste of time. As a side note, people who keep reptiles are not herpers, people who get out of their comfy chair and observe them in the wild are.
boom, perfect!

They are called Centralian Carpet Pythons on the Victorian species list so how could you not know what they meant

Yes but it isn't the term I commonly use or hear all the time. I haven't thought about centralian CP for some time. I remembered pretty quickly.

Scientific names are the best.....why

Clarity...I can say Pseudechis porphyriacus or Austrelaps superbus and mean the Australian elapids not the american equivlents.

As for taxonomy, I keep up with the changes. I am a herper though.....not a cultivator

Last edited:
While I agree with the previous comment, I also feel that use of scientific names depends upon the circumstances. Some situations require it, such as taxonomic papers, field guides and such. Others don’t e.g. referring to a “Diamond” on an APS thread. Common names have their place and they are easier to say, spell and remember. However, where there is any possible chance of ambiguity of the identity of an animal because of its common name, then the scientific name should be used. General discussion in threads included.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Scientific names are the best.....why

Clarity...I can say Pseudechis porphyriacus or Austrelaps superbus and mean the Australian elapids not the american equivlents.

As for taxonomy, I keep up with the changes. I am a herper though.....not a cultivator

Taxonomy leaves me bewildered with its' constant changes. I may be odd but that excites me. I stopped keeping reptiles for a number of years while I pursued other life requirements. I then read an article where Amphibolurus had been split and Pogona was the new genus. Bang, I was straight back into it. With common names you may know the players but you dont know which team they play for.

I need to google most of the common names, those are the really confusing names that make no sense. Half of them are also completely misnomic and plenty of them are terribly misused. Scientific names are far far easier to learn.....

Is that snake a king brown or a mulga?... could be either really, though it is definitely a Pseudechis australis[/QUOT]
When talking to friends I'll often say P.australis referring to the frog, they all think I mean the snake. :p

According to the Australian Society of Herpetologists the only true herpetologists have a degree and have written several peer reviewed papers, books etc. So I guess it's all in the perception.

Makes me wonder how many "true herpers" we actually have here haha.

I dont know if its just me, or the lack of info/emotion when using text, but it has always felt like the "real herpers" have an "im better than you caus i know more" air about them. Obviously not everyone, but just a general vibe i have noticed.

According to the Australian Society of Herpetologists the only true herpetologists have a degree and have written several peer reviewed papers, books etc. So I guess it's all in the perception.

A degree in what? There is no herpetology degree in Australia, most professional herpetologists don't even come from Zoology, they come from Biology, or Environmental Science, the rare case can even come from paleontology, medicine, engineering etc. A degree doesn't mean anything to what you're called.

But I agree to be a herpetologist (which is different than a herper), you should be scientifically studying herpetologists.

Can't say I care much about what defines the above. You have pet keepers, people who like to find wild reptiles, people who study wild reptiles, people who study captive reptiles, people who just have a general interest. Does it really matter?

I keep and breed captive reptiles. I also like to find and photograph wild reptiles and pencil locations of sightings in my field guides. I'm not an arm chair herper, but I'm not studying anything either.

As far as having a degree... I doubt you will find a better herpetologist in WA than Brian Bush. Who doesn't have a degree but a lifetimes worth of field study.

Not saying you have to have a degree, just saying it's all in the perception. There are plenty of people that go observe wild reptiles but wouldn't have a clue how to keep them in captivity etc. I'm not saying there are no knowledgeable people without degrees but the holier than thou attitude shown by some members astounds me.

A degree in what? There is no herpetology degree in Australia, most professional herpetologists don't even come from Zoology, they come from Biology, or Environmental Science, the rare case can even come from paleontology, medicine, engineering etc. A degree doesn't mean anything to what you're called.

But I agree to be a herpetologist (which is different than a herper), you should be scientifically studying herpetologists.

wait ...
so to be a herpetologist i need to study OTHER herpetologists? .... how crazy?
but you said there none in australia because there is no herpetology degrees .. which means i need to go to another country?
this is crazy

Not saying you have to have a degree, just saying it's all in the perception. There are plenty of people that go observe wild reptiles but wouldn't have a clue how to keep them in captivity etc. I'm not saying there are no knowledgeable people without degrees but the holier than thou attitude shown by some members astounds me.

It's not a holier than thou attitude, it's simply explaining the meaning behind the word. The word herper was always used to refer to people who go into the scrub and observe reptiles, not people who keep reptiles in boxes only. This isn't attacking keepers, it's purely using the word herper correctly.

As for the common name/ scientific name debate, its a no brainer. Scientific names are exact and valid internationally, common names are neither. I still use common names for a few common species but for the most part I don't see the point in remembering a whole heap of extra rubbish names that I'll never use. If you don't want to learn them that's your prerogative but don't whine at the people who choose to. Google is your friend.

What a hobby we are part of, people going off because someone else is only a Melamine keeper others are being labelled poachers others talking down to others over the use of a Botanical name a couple taking the mickey out of everybody others questioning others qualifacations "WOW" and we are all part of supposedly similar hobby WR

What a hobby we are part of, people going off because someone else is only a Melamine keeper others are being labelled poachers others talking down to others over the use of a Botanical name a couple taking the mickey out of everybody others questioning others qualifacations "WOW" and we are all part of supposedly similar hobby WR
Sounds like a very tame, run-of-the-mill APS thread to me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back