Bredli heating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porkbones

Reaction score
So my 20 month old bredli is currently in a 55ltr tub with a thermostat run heat mat under 1 end. I was converting a tv cabinet for a spotted yearling but instead I brought a hatchie, so I will now put the bredli in there until the spotted is big enough. My question for the heating is
would the heat mat in between a couple of tiles inside the enclosure be enough ? Or instead of heat mat maybe just a red heat globe for heating (as it will heat more of the enclosure, not just the tiled surface like the heat mat)
Or would it be best to run a normal heat light during the day as well as the heat mat running 24/7???
There is no rush to get him into the cabinet I'm just wanting to get it finished as its nearly done an has been sitting in my shed waiting for the last 3-4 weeks.
Thoughts on this would be great

Ok so I have just tried out a normal reflector light ( 75watts ) just so see what temp I would get . So I put the thermometer roughly inline where the branch is going to sit (about 25 cm underneath the light) and the temp quickly reached 34, if I get a red 75 watt bulb from a pet store will that alone be enough (heat wise) for the bredli or would I still need the heat mat under his hide on the floor??

My Bredli only had day time heat from around 14 months. He went into a Stein enclosure so I use a 50W downlight in winter and a 35W downlight in summer and LEDs for the rest of the enclosure. At 22 months which is what mine would be roughly day time heat should be sufficent.

My Bredli only had day time heat from around 14 months. He went into a Stein enclosure so I use a 50W downlight in winter and a 35W downlight in summer and LEDs for the rest of the enclosure. At 22 months which is what mine would be roughly day time heat should be sufficent.
Oh wow really??? So what time do you start using the heat?like from when to when?? And what about after eating? do you give urs extra time with the lights?

Normally I adjust twice a year with amount of time normally when daylight savings time changes come around. Summer I give around 14hrs per day and winter I give around 10hrs.

Normally I adjust twice a year with amount of time normally when daylight savings time changes come around. Summer I give around 14hrs per day and winter I give around 10hrs.
I thought you may of given more heat in Winter and less during summer when it's a lot warmer

So when you say "day time heat should be sufficient" are you meaning just the normal day time temps no lights are enough or the heat u give them during the day with ur lights will be enough to last them throughout the evening/night. I know it can get very chilly in winter, even here in Brisbane it will get below 10 degrees

I run lighting/heating during the day, at night the lighting/heating turn off and no other form of heating is provided

Wow really interesting.thought they would of had some form of heat thought the night. Thanks for your replies

I do the same with my reptiles i dont give heat at night, they wouldnt get heat out in the wild

I do adjust my temps tho in winter just to immitate the wild especially with my beardies for breeding purposes

I do the same with my reptiles i dont give heat at night, they wouldnt get heat out in the wild

i thought it wasn't until they were older 3-4 (to get a bit bulkier) before u let them go without heat. But thanks

Wild Bredli live in a location that get below 0 temps overnight - even in summer sometimes.

My 3(2yrs old) are in 4x2x2 enclosures with a single 100w infra red heat lamp on a 12hr on/off cycle(on 7am, off 7pm) year round, with no overnight heat. they have had this since about 12 months of age and are absolutely fine.
I live in Melbourne.

100w light in my 4x2x2 enclosures easily get my basking spot at 36/37 with warm end 33/34 and cool end 28/29 no dramas.
More than adequate for Bredli.

Last edited:
Wild Bredli live in a location that get below 0 temps overnight - even in summer sometimes.

My 3(2yrs old) are in 4x2x2 enclosures with a single 100w infra red heat lamp on a 12hr on/off cycle(on 7am, off 7pm) year round, with no overnight heat. they have had this since about 12 months of age and are absolutely fine.
I live in Melbourne.

100w light in my 4x2x2 enclosures easily get my basking spot at 36/37 with warm end 33/34 and cool end 28/29 no dramas.
More than adequate for Bredli.

Sweet thanks heaps.im gonna move him into the enclosure once I finish it an give 12 hrs of heating .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back