Winter Feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch91

Reaction score
Hello Herpers,

I was hoping to get some advice in advance, I'm a new keeper and im coming into my first winter months with my two 18 month old womas. I'v heard their feeding requirements can be significantly different in the colder months but not actually sure how i should accommodate this. The concern is that overfeeding in winter can lead to obesity.

Also they each have a large good quality heating rock that stays stable around 40 degrees. In your opinions is a secondary heat source such as a lamp necessary or recommended?

I have done a little research but i find it much more informative hearing from other keepers who went through the learning process as i am.

I always drop to a size below what they eat in summer. In the colder months they seem to be happier to digest a smaller prey item. My larger snakes are on 1 large rat per feed, in winter I drop to 1 or 2 mediums.

If you're concerned about them gaining weight in winter either, as stated above, drop a feed size, or increase the time between feeds. And if you can find a new heat source, a heat rock is just asking for trouble...

Also they each have a large good quality heating rock that stays stable around 40 degrees.

I'm sorry but generally speaking "good quality" and "heating rock" should never appear in the same sentence.

Also don't womas prefer a 30-32C basking spot?

In winter mine dont really eat??? My boys will refuse and my girls arnt interested but if i persist im sure they would eat. Also with snakes of that age should you be cooling them over winter? I dont keep aspidites so im not exactly sure.

Forgive my naivity, but what is the issue with them? iv seen a lot of people use them exclusively, but sometimes even have both

Forgive my naivity, but what is the issue with them? iv seen a lot of people use them exclusively, but sometimes even have both

They have a famously nasty reputation for shorting out and cooking your animals. Of all heating methods/systems they're pretty much the least reliable.

my woma's a pig will eat anything and everything i usually have a hotspot of about 34 are you going to cool them for breeding? i wouldnt worry too much some will eat through winter some won't also depends on temps, i doubt that your snakes will get obese over a winter...unless your feeding them every 3 days lol

Last edited:
I do have separate RCD/CB protection on the power board to the tanks so it would trip if it goes over-current, i was a little wary of that lol. But i see your point, might get a lamp to see if they prefer it :)

bit young for breeding, i guess it comes down to common sense and how active they are

I cooled mine at 18 months and didn't feed over winter. Will try breeding this year at 2.5 years. If you choose to do so, reduce heat and photoperiod, but don't turn off the heat entirely! If you feed, make sure there is enough heat for digestion. If you think they have reached adult size, you should slow down the feeding anyway.

I don't change their temps (34deg basking spot) just the time/duration that its on, from 12 hrs to 8 or 9 hrs slowly over a month or two, the overnight temps are sufficient to cool animals for breeding (well at least in the southern states). As a result many of my animals go off their food but i still offer the females every few weeks, males i don't even bother offering them food, they rarely take and it helps keep their mind on the job

Any issues with the heat mat staying on 24/7 if I don't plan on cooling them? Mine is set on 32 and has been since I have had him. On warmer days he slips down the cooler end near the water bowl.

No problem keeping heat on if you are not going to cool and breed. I have a pair of Antaresia which I don't breed, so I keep warm all year. It is snake birth control, but, like many human methods, not foolproof. :)

Is it unwise to drop the temps for new snakes over their first winter? Ive heard a few people say to keep that one constant temp at.basking spot 24/7 for the first 12 months. My diamond cross coastal has a 32 degree basking spot and at the bottom end its 24-25. At night the temps have been dropping to around 22.

Bradles73au

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back