need a little instruction

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempest404

Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
I've been given a dilute iodine solution to administer to my stimmy Arbok over the next few days to treat an increase in bacteria in his mouth... i need to apply it via cotton wool buds... i've done it once so far but kinda sucked at it...

Mainly asking is there a trick to getting their mouth open or is it always this difficult and is there a trick also to not getting the cotton wol buds stuck to his teeth.... so far i'm goin down over the tethe and back up the middle and if it gets stuck i try to roll it out gently... just really don't wanna hurt him.... as it is the iodine must taste like absolute crap not to mention gettin ure head grabbed onto... i hope he doesn't hate me :(

cheers guys,
Tempest

p.s. sry for being suck a n00b

Last edited by a moderator:
Something like a credit card or other thin object should get it's mouth open easy enough. If its an adult you can use something like a popstick and leave it at the back of the jaw while you work to keep the snakes mouth open.
Try not to get any of that crap down its throat, angling the head down probably isn't a bad idea. Are you treating with Silvazine after the iodine or administering antibiotics?

Cotton buds and teeth don't mix well but there isn't a hell of a lot you can do about it. The last time I had a head banging BHP that ended up with stomatitis I ripped the main part of the cotton tip off and just used the 'stick' to smear the Silvazene in. Not going to be very effective with your iodine wash but works well with the Silvazine afterwards.

Get someone to help if you can, always easier having one person restraining the snake and the other one doing the job.

I'm guessing the "increase in bacteria" is canker/ stomatitis? I've had to treat it twice in wild caught snakes that bashed their mouths on glass fronted enclosures and both times washed the site with diluted iodine solution then dressed the wound with Silvazine (google it). That coupled with a course of Fortum antibiotics got the job done.

If the snake has a bad case of canker then washing its mouth alone wont deal with the problem. Does the vet often deal with snakes?

Yes as far as I know. She took a few samples of his saliva, didn't want to give him antibiotics yet. Apparently isn't bad enough. But does want to monitor closely. .. Not labored breath. No wheezing. Still himself. Just really quiet click. You have to stick him right up to your ear to it

what your describing sounds like RI? or do they present the same Echiopsis?

Excessive saliva leaking from the mouth can be a symptom of both but it does sound more like the start of a respiratory infection. Washing the mouth with iodine solution isn't going to help that at all. With canker/ stomatitis you'll be able to see the infection in the mouth around the gums.

I'd get onto a vet with more of an idea as to how to treat reptiles, if it is an RI a course of Fortum intramuscularly should hopefully clear it up. If its canker/ stomatitis then continue the flushing of the gums with iodine solution, cover the affected area with Silvazine and run a course of Fortum. A lot of vets still use Baytril, if that's recommended get them to look into Fortum. It's a far better antibiotic that does a lot less damage to the snake.

Check your heating, often RI is caused by insufficient basking temperatures.

AS Echiopsis said check your heating. when my Murray Darling had RI i used both a heat mat and lamp and gave 24 hour heat. i bumped her heat up a couple of degrees as well. i also took out her big water bowl, and replaced it with a little one to reduce moisture.

Ask your vet exactly what she is diagnosing this as. and as PythonLegs said go to a reputable reptile vet. RI should be pretty easy to diagnose (if you are a decent vet).

the other thing that can cause the "clicking" noise is the start of or a retained shed near the nostrils.

Should mention my MD is in a larger enclosure and this was in the middle of winter,

Stomatitis is, i believe, caused by bad husbandry (hygiene), so make sure you keep your housing clean and dry.

Don't stop treating as your vet has recommended on my information though please, just double check what she is looking for. As said above there is no point washing out his mouth and causing unnecessary stress if it is RI though.

There's no leaking or discharge at all. No signs of canker/stomatitis (apparently). Going to the exotics Vet on kessels rd in mt Gravatt. Apparently has a collection of 11 herself.. Did day I should be cleaning his water bowl more often. Was concerned that was the cause. Though humidity in Brisbane is intense atm

There's no leaking or discharge at all. No signs of canker/stomatitis (apparently). Going to the exotics Vet on kessels rd in mt Gravatt. Apparently has a collection of 11 herself.. Did day I should be cleaning his water bowl more often. Was concerned that was the cause. Though humidity in Brisbane is intense atm

So what's the iodine solution for? What are you actually cleaning? I'm a bit lost, this doesn't make any sense.

Ok, I'm not going to second guess the vet..yet. You have to apply the solution to each individual tooth? I have no trick I can give you..sounds like massive pain in the rear,though.

Hmmm, humidity here in bris is high, but no higher than normal. A water bowl should be provided every 24/48hrs with fresh h2o, if you leave it in the enclosure that's your decision.
Your enclosure should be always clean and dry, substrate is up to you, though newspaper is my first choice.
Iodine is not going to fix an RI, as already suggested a course of ceftazadime (fortum) would be more beneficial. Enrofloxcin (baytril) can cause necrosis and is an old fashioned antibiotic for reptiles.
Good luck, I hope all works out for you, and if you have any questions let me know:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do what was suggested and clarify with the vet what she sees as the problem and what she feels it might lead to if untreated. The reason for this is that the information you have provided does not add up to a standard scenario of a common illness.

I must say that those who have posted have looked between the lines of your enquiry and attempted to give you the full benefit of their hard won knowledge and experience, rather than take things for granted just give you the minimal answer. So take of what they said and enquire as to what and why and think serious about a second opinion from a different recommended reptile vet. What it costs you now you will likely save in the future by preventative husbandry rather than medical intervention.

It is really good to see experienced forum users going the full 9 yards to assist a new player. Well done and good on ya!

Blue

Thanks everyone. I've booked him in for a second opinion for tomorrow. As far as I was told by the vet he had a slight inflammation and increase in oral bacteria.. She wasn't too concerned just wanted the iodine used as a preventative. But if it got worse I was to bring him back. But that's all she really said. ... After what everyone's saying though I'm starting to wonder if I'm just being milked for extra consultations and $ simply as I am new and wouldn't know better.

As for an update on arbok himself, 2 days down he's still cruising his box like a king. No signs of being too reclusive, only during the day but he's mainly nocturnal as far as I know anyway. And the clicking is getting quieter/fading

I have nothing good to say about that vet except steer clear! I have had VERY bad experiences with her

The ONLY reptile vet worth seeing is Clayton Knight at Deception Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back