Taronga Conservation Society - herp pics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zipidee

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

One of the things I do with my time is volunteer work for the Taronga Conservation Society. It's amazing to see the direct impact that TCS is having on wild populations of endangered species, including a number of species of endagered herps, such as the Southern Corroboree Frog and the Komodo Dragon.

The other really cool part of this work is that I get into Taronga and Taronga Western Plains Zoos free. Over the years I've visited the zoos hundreds of times and taken thousands of pics. Thought I'd share some of my favourite herps shots.

Basilisk.jpg
Coastal Taipan.jpg
Collets.jpg
Diamond-back Rattler.jpg
Komodo Dragon.jpg
Red belly feeding.jpg
Saltwater Croc.jpg
Macquarie Short-neck.jpg
Freshwater Croc.jpg

If people are interested, I have a lot more herp - and non-herp - pics that can be uploaded. Don't want to get too carried away. I know there are a few threads already from the Zoo, but if you have any new Taronga herp pics, feel free to load them as I'd love to see what you saw at two of the best zoos on earth - and yes, I'm biased. :p

Last edited:
Great pics :) thx for showing us. I'm a zoo tragic, whenever I'm somewhere near a zoo I always go to it.. Stupidly, I live near Newcastle and haven't been to Taronga, thx for the inspiration, it's on the list of things to do now :)

i have recently done work experience there and i also do a volounteer program in the school holidys ( YATS ) in the reptile department it is fantastic there behind the scenes and watching/helping with the daily routenes to care for them i have a heap of pics and will try upload some later when im on my computer.

i have recently done work experience there and i also do a volounteer program in the school holidys ( YATS ) in the reptile department it is fantastic there behind the scenes and watching/helping with the daily routenes to care for them i have a heap of pics and will try upload some later when im on my computer.

I've done some work with Peter H and Michael McF in the past. They are GREAT guys. And you're right, behind the scenes in the Herp Dept is AMAZING. Walking around inside the Retic Python enclosure, with the two big girls inside, is an experience I'll never forget.

Retic.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a couple of wild EWD that you often see scurrying around the grounds at Taronga, or sometimes even inside exhibits. They are classic dragons!!!
Eastern Water Dragon.jpg
Eastern WD.jpg

Exciting news from Taronga - Tuka, the resident Komodo Dragon many of you are familiar with, will soon have company. Two new juvenile dragons are currently being trained by keepers to "respond" to red laser dots for feeding purposes. They will then go on display in Reptile World. Plans are afoot for future breeding programs!!!!:D

yeh those baby komodos are awsome they are urently on display at the moment they are still settlin in they love their trees !!!!!!! it was a great experience being in their enclosure ! beautiful lizards

yeh those baby komodos are awsome they are urently on display at the moment they are still settlin in they love their trees !!!!!!! it was a great experience being in their enclosure ! beautiful lizards

Did you see the guys doing the laser training? Amazing stuff!!!

nah they were just settling in when i was there we didnt want to stress them out the female was obsessed with the tree and didnt want to come down !!

I've been working non-stop since Easter - including much of Easter - so I'm giving myself a day off tomorrow - AT THE ZOO. If I get any good herp pics I'll post them tomorrow evening.

Yeah, he sure is. The pioneering work he's doing with the captive breeding of some of our most endangered frogs is brilliant. A legend!

Exciting news from Taronga - Tuka, the resident Komodo Dragon many of you are familiar with, will soon have company. Two new juvenile dragons are currently being trained by keepers to "respond" to red laser dots for feeding purposes. They will then go on display in Reptile World. Plans are afoot for future breeding programs!!!!:D

well that means I have to go back to the Zoo. haven't been in a while. I always visit thge Komodo in the hope he does something more than sun himself.

Another BRILLIANT day at Taronga today. Blue sky, sunshine and small crowds. The Zoo in autumn is the best. I took a few new herp pics, including the new Komodo babies.

IMG_8602.jpg

Plus a beautiful Olive they had on display.
IMG_8613.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back