Beardie diarrhoea problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moimac

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. We have 4 juvenile central bearded dragons. One is much larger than the others and is suddenly suffering from a case of the runs and is generally off. It normally smashes the crickets (we are still offering veges but they are not that into it) but is only eating one or two. We haven't changed anything that we normally do. Help! Should I be taking him to the vet or is there something else I should do first ? We feed twice a day crickets as live food dusting with calc powder every 2-3 days. Fruit/Veges left in enc all day. Water spray twice a day and water in enc. basking light on for 3-4 hours in the morn and evening. UVB light on all day and we normally get them out 3 times a week in the sun.

i would keep the basking light on 8 hours a day and get the temps to 38-42c range in the basking spot. Try not to feed lettuce like iceburg as it will cause diarrhoea. Feed greens like kale, edive, green beans etc. What sort of fruits are you feeding. It is possibly not necessary to feed fruits. If you have good live foods like crickets & woodies and a good mixture of green vegies he will thrive.
Everything else seems fine mate. Is he under any stress from the other dragons?

Ok I will try leaving the basking light on all day. We give them apple and sometimes nectarines. Veges bok choy capsicum grated beetroot and carrot, broccoli and zucchini etc. he's the big guy and his enclosure buddy is the littlest guy and they get on fine - so far. The other two are about the same size and are in a separate enc. the UVB light isn't the best one but he's been in there a month and this is the first sign of trouble. Their enc is bird wire and they are near a window so they do get a bit of natural sunlight. We have casement windows so no glass filtering out uv.

Consequences of having a UVB light that isn't sufficient don't show up immediately, it will take some time. Also, my beardies had a couple of feeds of green beens and that gave them all the runs, but that's just my experience. And citric fruit is a big no no.
Have they been wormed/vet checked?

Seems he has recovered, he has also started to shed so maybe he was just a bit off. Happy days but am going to upgrade the light as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back