Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve is a true Aussie. nellynake, It should be their, not there. That there means over there, you need their meaning ownership ;)

Wombok you are a snake lover and you post this. If you had any idea how many snakes and pythons were
killed by cane toads you may change your mind. Female cane toads breed over 50 000 offspring a year. Your innocent "pet" contributes to this. Every single toadlet is toxic.

Glorious my backside

I know the differences. I was typing without proof reading :\ BTW what does that have to do with a toad/gecko?

well i might be hated for this but if that came into my laundry my boys would have removed it with a golf club! lol sorry i like all creatures big and small but i kill mozzies and cane toads. Brave mum though, wouldnt catch me dead holding one :p

Lets keep the attacks on others opinions and the animal cruelty out of it Guys and Gals. Its a sensitive subject but a worthwhile discussion at the end of the day.

Last edited:
agreed on my way to work i found a juvi children python on the side of the road picked him up and went to move him off the road to find his belly was full and not moving just slight twitches and dying a slow painful death..... hate to say it but these creatures deserve to die in australia they have no place here and lions kill to eat their prey no harm done to them and our beautiful natural wildlife are trying to do the same but dying instead of rolling over with a full belly and enjoying life! the only thing they are good for is using their dead bodies as fertiliser for trees and nothing else my bosses banana trees look fantastic because of their dead rotting bodies

Enjoying cane toads is like saying cancer doesn't really mean it. Accepting it as unavoidable is monstrous. There are still many parts of Australia where they dont exist. If we cant eradicate them (not convinced) we can certainly control their numbers and their impact.

My apologies if I offended any young folk but this is a very serious issue and flippant remarks in this matter are a shame upon yourselves.

i think you need to remember cane toads are innocent it was stupid people who moved them and are responsible
just like any other introduced/feral/invasive species and they should be killed as humanely as possible...

Every bogan and his dog can go out with golf clubs and kill the toads for a month and it won't make a dent in solving the problem

i think you need to remember this is a massive issue...

Steve you make great points! I congrats you for stand up for what right for the good of snakes, snakes isnt that why we are all here? We should be trying to save them not admire their killers the cane toad.

Admiring? really... all I said was "is that like the asian house gecko" what about the other animals lol. the only animals that I know of eating toads (and survive) are crows.

Yeah but saving one still has the chance of making 50000 more as someone mentioned. And I also mentioned it's not their fault but unfortunately for them because of someone's decision they need to be destroyed.

I remember ranting about the impact these things would have when they reached the NT, before they did..it was assumed the native species would 'adapt'. Sometimes all you can do is shrug your shoulders and sigh.

like a lion eating an antelope.
Shrug. Sigh.

Enjoying cane toads is like saying cancer doesn't really mean it. Accepting it as unavoidable is monstrous.

Same deal with the holocaust. (Sorry to add this in as it's a touchy subject but it relates... Vaguely) there are the few who deny such an event happened. It's simply ignorance. The evidence that we have proving it happened and how atrocious it was is extraordinary yet some still beg to offer because they don't want to believe it. It's a fact and it needs dealing with. Even if it means killing some huge number of a species. It saves a hell of a lot of others.

i think you need to remember cane toads are innocent it was stupid people who moved them and are responsible
just like any other introduced/feral/invasive species and they should be killed as humanely as possible...

I completely agree. It's not their fault they were brought here. As ugly as they might look and as destructive to ecosystems as they might be, they don't deserve to be tortured to death for those things. They are still living creatures that feel pain and fear. With those stipulations, I have no objection whatsoever to killing them. We have to find some way of controlling their numbers. I say "controlling" because I don't know if eradication is possible, although it is a nice dream.

Rick Shine is giving a public talk at JCU at the end of this month about reducing the ecological impact of the cane toad. Should be an interesting evening.

Admiring? really... all I said was "is that like the asian house gecko" what about the other animals lol. the only animals that I know of eating toads (and survive) are crows.

Thereare quite afew, birds, reptiles and most importantly meat ants. I dont understand your "admire" reference.

I remember ranting about the impact these things would have when they reached the NT, before they did..it was assumed the native species would 'adapt'. Sometimes all you can do is shrug your shoulders and sigh.

like a lion eating an antelope.
Shrug. Sigh.

There used to be a useless bloke running the Conservation Commission here 11 years ago. I argued that the cane toads could be kept off the Islands, His theory was that it was inevitable that they would be everywhere so why bother. We threw him and his mates out of power 11 years ago and now he is back in charge of a new Environmental Protection Agency under full control of our nutcase government. Veeery disapointing..... but no change in my resolve. Only a couple of Islands have the toads. My program worked. All it needed was people who weren't obsessed with themselves.

Iv'e suggested in the past that a kind of cane toad 'transfer station' could be implemented. Instead of everyone going out and destroying whatever cane toads they can find (which I'm all for ATM) they should be able to bring them to a drop off point for a small refund 10c each toad. Just like they already do with cans in some areas. In this way if people bought in live toads at said place they could be identified just to be sure. This way native animals wont be killed and there is a small intensive.
There is also the fact that cane toads are readily implemented in many traditional Chinese medicines. So once these frogs toads are caught they can be humanely killed packed and shipped OS for a profit, it may sound a bit over simplified but sometimes simple ideas work.

hey we cant forget the keel back snake can also survive the cane toad poison :) mate has one and feeds it little toads come on snakes please adapt and become like the keel back then free food for everyone yay! lol

Iv'e suggested in the past that a kind of cane toad 'transfer station' could be implemented. Instead of everyone going out and destroying whatever cane toads they can find (which I'm all for ATM) they should be able to bring them to a drop off point for a small refund 10c each toad. Just like they already do with cans in some areas. In this way if people bought in live toads at said place they could be identified just to be sure. This way native animals wont be killed and there is a small intensive.
There is also the fact that cane toads are readily implemented in many traditional Chinese medicines. So once these frogs toads are caught they can be humanely killed packed and shipped OS for a profit, it may sound a bit over simplified but sometimes simple ideas work.

Good idea in theory, but how many people would just start breeding them to make the cash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back