New to it all

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teegz83

Reaction score
Hi all i have a very big love for snakes but have never had the chance to be able to own one, I really want a coastal carpet python but I would really like to get it young, the problem is i cant really find enough info on what i need to get to house a young snake, I have my license and an enclosure which is 30x30x40cm, will this be smaller enough, also I'm not sure on heating, i have bought keeping and breeding Australian pythons and it does not seem to tell me what i need to know although i have learned allot from it, I'm worried if i go to the pet shop i will end with a heap of stuff that is just not necessary, can any one please help, or is there a book i should get, because i really wanna be ready before i get it
Thanks

well there no real specifications that are only specific to a certain breed of snake, majority of all snakes require good temps and humidity levels. along with lighting for day night cycles, you'll need a heating pad. i'm not particularly sure on the growth rate of coastal s but you may not wanna spend too much on that 1st enclosure considering it is going to outgrow that size. feeding will be as normal a rodent the size of the thickest part of your snakes body. a water bowl large enough for your snake to soak in. and one thing about petshops are that they're out to make money off of you, its just business, so they'll be out to sell you anything they can. like i said you just need to leaze with other keepers to find out the finer details about them apart from that you should have enough knowledge :)

hello and welcome coastals are cooly cool

Welcome!

For the heating, a heatmat or heat cord will do the trick. You can buy ones that have a thermostat built in, or just buy a thermostat separately. Once he/she gets too big, just reuse the heat mat/heat cord and thermostat in a bigger enclosure.

IMO there is no enclosure "too big" for a snake. What they need is to feel secure. Have lots of hides and cover (plants, secured rocks etc) and they will be fine. Put nearly all my snakes i have had in the past into their "life" enclosure from day 1 and never had an issue with feeding, shedding or handling. Heat + hides = happy :D

Coastals are great! Are they readily available over in SA?

nope theyre not actually, there are guys who keep them but like to get ahold of one is like super difficult.

Welcome. I have 2 baby coastals..... there great.... any thing you wanna know just ask

Welcome, coastals are gorgeous!Just make sure you have enough room for a large enclosure, these guys get big! Other then that good luck and feel free to ask as many questions as you need! :D

I think coastals r AWSUM but as Sharky said keep in mind they grow big fast! i have a 15mth old and started off with a tiny enclosure however i had to upsize sooner than i thought. Easy python....perfect 4 a beginner in my opinion 8) goodluck and remember any questions just ask, there are plenty of people on here who will be able to help.

Would just like to thank everyone I'm learning so much off this site it's awesome,and I'm pretty much set up now,I have found someone that breeds costal s im just waiting for it to be feeding well I'm so excited, I would have had nothing if not for this site so once again cheers all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back