Does your snake like to change decor?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zipidee

Reaction score
My Stimmy seems to have developed interior design ambitions. His enclosure has been set up to look more natural - sandstone, river pebbles, logs etc. Everything is removable for cleaning and no one item is too heavy, thus preventing the chances of injury. Usually after a clean, he checks it all out and settles back into routine.

Not this time.

Despite things being close to the way they always are, he's been obsessed with moving stuff around. It's been going on for a week now. Last night he moved a whole pile of stones - including his hide, which is made from a terracotta pot - about 2 inches. The whole load must weight a couple of kilos and he's just shifted it sideways. I mean, he's not a big snake - perhaps 90cm long. Incredible power!

Does anyone else have a snake - or any other critter - with these interior decoration obsession? Moving rocks is one thing, but it must be frustrating if you have living plants etc in your enclosure and they knock them over or rip them out.

My Black-head does the same thing after I change the water bowl or hides and logs:D

Of course..my Jungles decided they wanted curtains in there enclosure...soon i may have to put a tv in there...Endless possibilities...Are you sure that your not putting steriods in the rodents you feed the snake...

I had live plants in mine, branches, real and fake rocks. It was fine for the first four months I had him. Then just before Christmas he decided to destroy everything. He dug out all the plants and moved eventhing around. Managed to put a whole stack of kritters crumble and rocks in his water bowl. I was not impressed. He does that everytime there is a thunder storm. -_-

Haha I'd never heard of them moving their furniture around. When I clean my pythons cage and put the items in differently he does give me a WTH look (or so I imagine)

Well, not my snakes, but my turtle is obsessed with changing around the decor every day. Logs bigger than him are constantly moved around or even flipped up and any plants we put in there are torn out by the roots within an hour of putting them in. Apparently they make a comfy bed when floating on the top of the tank.

Although my female jungle occasionally tries to curl up underneath her water bowl and ends up spilling it all through her enclosure.

The bhp moves everything around. Heavy stuff is his fave. For a while there he was tipping over his rectangular water bowl then putting it upright again empty! His latest trick was pulling the leaves off his fake plants one by one. Now he doesn't have any. Bad bhp :)

one of my bredlis will turn the cage upside down.. lol water bowls and all and i use ceramic dog water bowls.. suck when i dont notice for 12 hours and she is sitting on her perch with a flooded click clack.. stresses me out, dont wanna give her RI.

My bredli annihilated the hide I put in there, the fatty sat on it and smushed it! All of my others like 'finger painting'. Mostly with their excrement.

Last edited by a moderator:
one of my bredlis will turn the cage upside down.. lol water bowls and all and i use ceramic dog water bowls.. suck when i dont notice for 12 hours and she is sitting on her perch with a flooded click clack.. stresses me out, dont wanna give her RI.

Your snake won't get RI in a day if it's otherwise healthy.

It happened again last night. The "Stimmylator" decided to take on some rock moving again last night. Even had a go at the thermometer, knocking it down and laying it flat. Thankfully he didn't break it. "Hasta la vista Thermometer"

"Hasta la vista Thermometer"

And again last night....

Plus he's suddenly gone off his food.

So I did a bit of research and I think it's down to the birds and the bees. According to one site I found, male pythons are notorious for going ballastic on their enclosures and going off food when they start looking for a mate. Has anyone else had this experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back