I know this sounds silly -.- but how do you hold a snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cazza

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have held a snake but..... -.- I forgot how to ....you know hold one.....

Will someone please tell me, or else I will look really silly or sillier than ever when I go to get my snake and I don't know how to hold it.

lol if he's a hatchy you can sit him on your hand and when they are adults use 2 hands to support it, one hand for the upper body and the other hand for supporting his lower half. the basic idea is to just be like a branch lol if that helps
also when taking them out of an enclosure you can use a snake hook to take him out

Last edited:
Like Nilesh said be a branch, if your snake wants to move let it, just move your hands one in front of the other, as the snake settles it may wrap around your arm or hand or if it's a hatchie just coil on your hand. Try not to restrain it too much unless it's really necessary as this is a stressor for your animal. It's a learning curve for both you and your animal and with time you will both be comfortable with each other. I always use a hook to make initial contact with my Gammon ranges carpet and I can tell if he's not in the mood to be handled where as my stimmie I just reach in and grab her and she will happily coil around my arm while I sit and watch tv. Hope it all goes well for you and your new snake.

Avoid contact with its head. Mine doesn't like it if I accidentally bump him there and I'm sure most, if not all don't.

Oh and avoid holding it tight or with a firm grip. No need for that.

Also, you might be able to find a petshop or go to somewhere with captive snakes. They might let you have a hold. It's very basic. Nothing to it really. Just see if you can get to hold someone else's or something. Gives you a bit of a feel for them. Someone on here might even be able to accommodate that.
Best of luck and post pics when you get a snake!

They have lots of backward pointing teeth so you don't really need to hold onto them as they hold onto you.

No...really?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,024
They have lots of backward pointing teeth so you don't really need to hold onto them as they hold onto you.

Either way she will learn the easy way..or the hard way...Just dont grip the snake in a tight hold...You basically have to just support the body..Let the snake move freely around..

Last edited by a moderator:
If I am getting a yearling will I need to hold the snake like an adult?

Last edited:
lol if he's a hatchy you can sit him on your hand and when they are adults use 2 hands to support it, one hand for the upper body and the other hand for supporting his lower half. the basic idea is to just be like a branch lol if that helps
also when taking them out of an enclosure you can use a snake hook to take him out
(See above post)

For a yearling use two hands. Place hand underneath the snake about one third of the way down it body, from its head. And the second hand about two thirds of the way down its body. Use flat open palms. Don't grip your snake you will stress it out. Let it move freely.

Also when you first bring your snake home DO NOT handle it straight away. Moving is stressful for any animal, even reptiles. Give it at least a few days to settle in, then feed it, then wait a few days for it to digest before you handle. When I got my first snake he took a couple of weeks to fully settle in. While I was extremely tempted to get him out, I'm glad I didn't.

Anyway, what species are you getting?

Why a Coastal, ? They grow to be large snakes, and if you are so unsure of everything why not start with a childrens or Stimson ?

Why not a coastal? If she gets it while it's only a yearling, it'll still be small and it can grow with her. They're a great snake. Just because they get big doesn't mean you shouldnt get one. Really there's not much to handling so as long as you know your husbandry all's good. They are not an unmanageable size especially if purchased while still quite small. Best of luck and go with the snake you like and are comfortable with. And as I aid, try get some hands on time with a snake maybe of similar size and a bigger one before purchase.

…. And as I aid, try get some hands on time with a snake maybe of similar size and a bigger one before purchase.

Good advice BP, while coastals are pretty well bomb proof I'm concerned about Cazzas obvious lack of knowledge. I know that we all have to start somewhere but handling a large python on your own is not something I recommend. Mine is now 8ft + and while he's docile I'm fully aware that things could go pear shaped quickly, so I'm never alone when he's handled. From Cazzas posts her mum won't even allow a snake in the house and having a python live outside in Adelaide isn't something I'd do. A smaller species may have more chance of being allowed in the house.

Cazza - have you considered the enclosure size an adult coastal would require ? You'll only have a few years before it needs an adult size enclosure !

Thre are not really many breeders around my area (for either of those mentioned above) and I don't mind big snakes. I am aware that I would need a new cage as the snake grows, and I am not going to buy an enclosure, I am going to build one. I have had experience with wood and plastic etc. before so I shouldn't have any problems, I would just need some measurements for it and I can start. Also I know some other people who can help me with building it. I can just visit a thread on here about DIY enclosure projects:D. Also...I had a long and hard argument with my mum about keeping it inside and she finally let me keep it inside as long as I keep it where there is lino in the floor and not carpet and I don't let it loose on the floor lol. I will make sure that I am never alone when handlng my snake as I know that things can go wrong. I know my knowledge is limited on snakes but it is bound to get better as I keep searching for information. Besides my dad can help me as he has handled a Black-Headed Python before and is happy with me keeping it inside, as well as helping me and watching me/ being there when I handle the snake just in case anything does go wrong (Plus it just gives my dad a reason to tease my mum about being a chicken lol). Don't worry about me! I will be fine! :)

Last edited:
Good advice BP, while coastals are pretty well bomb proof I'm concerned about Cazzas obvious lack of knowledge. I know that we all have to start somewhere but handling a large python on your own is not something I recommend. Mine is now 8ft + and while he's docile I'm fully aware that things could go pear shaped quickly, so I'm never alone when he's handled. From Cazzas posts her mum won't even allow a snake in the house and having a python live outside in Adelaide isn't something I'd do. A smaller species may have more chance of being allowed in the house.

Cazza - have you considered the enclosure size an adult coastal would require ? You'll only have a few years before it needs an adult size enclosure !

Very true Jax. Should've taken that into account. They are a fantastic snake however the size is a major contributing factor when the decision to purchase is made. Especially considering Cazza is only 15. (I can't talk being 14 with a MD but whatever :lol: I have prior experience which may make a difference) But coastals are a large snake and it you're wanting to get it out regularly, it's highly recommended that someone else be with you as things can and do go wrong. Whilst you may be fine with big snakes I do recommend you get hands on experience first as jumping straight into it (without knowing how to handle a snake) sounds fairly risky.

I'm sure there are a number of breeders and shops where you could find a stimmie or something similar.
eg) Scales and tails adelaide
Reptilecity
Northside pet superstore (something like that)
Reptile Gully centa.

Then you've got breeders like SouthernXreptiles.
All the ants are a great starter snake but as I said go with what appeals to you and WHAT YOU (and parents) CAN MANAGE!

I really would recommend you enquire with SXR (southern X reptiles) They are a fantastic breeder and will provide you with a healthy snake at a good price. Not only that but they have obviously a lot of knowledge so I am quite sure they'd be happy to help you out with learning and choosing.

Can you please give me a list of the snakes that are suitable? (Apart from Childerens Python because I know this is already an option) Thanks:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back