How common is DPS

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hayden123113

Reaction score
I have had my diamond python since i was 12 and i am now 16. 12 year old me treated my diamond python at the time like any other carpet and kept ambient air temps at around 30 degrees and last year i read something about diamond python syndrome and that diamonds need to be kept cooler than the other carpets at round 25-27 ambient air temperature so i changed the temps and ive been using those temps for that least year, i also read that it takes years for symptoms to start showing, has 12 year old me doomed my favorite and first snake? my question is has any one had or known of a diamond python that has had DPS and maybe have some knowledge of how to prevent DPS.

Honestly mate, i have done more research on DPS than i can even remember, i researched it for years because i have loved diamonds since i was a young kid. When the chance to finally get one presented itself, i did even more research again. The truth is, we just dont know or understand DPS enough to have any conclusive answers.

Some say it's the heat, some say it's the uv light. It could be one, both or something else entirely. Some snakes have been kept in out door enclosures in Sydney and still got DPS, other diamonds were kept in completely unnatural enclosures and were fine. All you can do is give your diamond the best care you can and hope for the best.

I would advise to keep the temps lower than normal carpets. Diamonds black colouration means they adsorb heat much easier. I give mine a basking spot of around 30-32 degrees for 4 or 5 hours each morning and the rest of the time she is just at room temp (mid 20's). She is active and alert, has full sheds and never refuses a feed. I always keep an eye on ambient temps and i am always watching her for signs on stress. As far as i know, this is the best care i can give to her, until more solid information is collected about DPS.

They really are beautiful snakes, i wish you all the best with your python. Try not to over think it, just give it the best care you can and you'll have a happy snake for years to come.

Hamish

Somebody posted links to a couple of threads on here but my thread got deleted and search how I like I can't find them again. They were called smething like 'My experience with DPS' and My experience with DPS Part 2'.

They're linked in the thread I posted, gruni. Well worth a read.

Honestly mate, i have done more research on DPS than i can even remember, i researched it for years because i have loved diamonds since i was a young kid. When the chance to finally get one presented itself, i did even more research again. The truth is, we just dont know or understand DPS enough to have any conclusive answers.

Some say it's the heat, some say it's the uv light. It could be one, both or something else entirely. Some snakes have been kept in out door enclosures in Sydney and still got DPS, other diamonds were kept in completely unnatural enclosures and were fine. All you can do is give your diamond the best care you can and hope for the best.

I would advise to keep the temps lower than normal carpets. Diamonds black colouration means they adsorb heat much easier. I give mine a basking spot of around 30-32 degrees for 4 or 5 hours each morning and the rest of the time she is just at room temp (mid 20's). She is active and alert, has full sheds and never refuses a feed. I always keep an eye on ambient temps and i am always watching her for signs on stress. As far as i know, this is the best care i can give to her, until more solid information is collected about DPS.

They really are beautiful snakes, i wish you all the best with your python. Try not to over think it, just give it the best care you can and you'll have a happy snake for years to come.

Hamish
Thanks for the information, I read the post in python legs link, they guy who posted that says that it is contagious and not just restricted to diamonds but coastal and maybe more of the morelia genus

Thanks for the information, I read the post in python legs link, they guy who posted that says that it is contagious and not just restricted to diamonds but coastal and maybe more of the morelia genus

Is it contagious or caused by environmental factors? Can it be both?

quite few Melb ppl don't have any heating on thier diamond just leaving to room temp and they thrive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back