buyers not showing up

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Must be a lot of high end collections out there with all this talk of servo/maccas meet ups.

Must be a lot of high end collections out there with all this talk of servo/maccas meet ups.

You could own 2 blue tongues and a goldfish it doesn't matter :p
I don't know about anyone else, but I refuse to let strangers into my home. People's homes are full of valuables, not just their reptiles. There are a lot of shady characters on the net, if that's where you are advertising things (anything) then you have to be diligent....
Just have to look at the scams people have fallen prey to, to know that ;)

Life's full of shady characters.

If I've deemed you a genuine buyer of my wares then you're welcome in my home. As have countless people on this forum and others been allowed to.

Last edited:
You could own 2 blue tongues and a goldfish it doesn't matter :p
I don't know about anyone else, but I refuse to let strangers into my home. People's homes are full of valuables, afr not just their reptiles. There are a lot of shady characters on the net, if that's where you are advertising things (anything) then you have to be diligent....
Just have to look at the scams people have fallen prey to, to know that ;)
Yeah. I don't know what it's like in other states. But there have been plenty of reptile thefts in WA. Best to play it safe and smart.
The average carpet in WA is still $400-1000 so doesnt take long to get over $10k worth of stock. The thefts are either people who dont want to get a licesense or cant afford to shell out for the snakes. There is nothing lower than people who steal pets!

$400-$1000 for a South West carpet in WA. Can only imagine how many are "stolen" from nature at those prices.

Seriously, how much pot are people smoking that they think their everyday collections of carpets and beardies are at risk of a home invasion?

$400-$1000 for a South West carpet in WA. Can only imagine how many are "stolen" from nature at those prices.

Seriously, how much pot are people smoking that they think their everyday collections of carpets and beardies are at risk of a home invasion?

Probably the same amount of pot as the people who think we all keep carpets and bearded dragons?

I was talking to a lady who lives in a nice area (Carine) the otherday. She had a home invasion at 2pm in the afternoon. Someone kicked her front door in and was looking around her house when she came in from the back yard. He fled and jumped in a car. The police suspect he was looking for the keys to her sports Audi. Have to wonder if he knew she had a massive reptile collection out back...
Since moving to perth 6 years ago I've heard of heaps of break ins while people are home.

I don't think that many carpets are stolen from the wild. Just because not many people know where or how to find them.

the best carpet theft so far was the one dec had stolen. It had a transmitter in it from a mammal that it had eaten that was being tracked for research. It led the cops right to the house of the thief's :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This site alone turns over an enormous amount of classified sales without counting the herp specific sites like Herp Trader and RDU. And yet I can't recall a wave of theft that could be attributed to advertising here and elsewhere and letting buyers into your home. I'm not saying it won't/hasn't happened. But is the risk as real as is often made out? Are people not able to use their intuition when making a sale?

I think the biggest thefts perpetuated are by the scammers selling non existent reptiles and taking peoples hard earned cash.

Last edited:
This site alone turns over an enormous amount of classified sales without counting the herp specific sites like Herp Trader and RDU. And yet I can't recall a wave of theft that could be attributed to advertising here and elsewhere and letting buyers into your home. I'm not saying it won't/hasn't happened. But is the risk as real as is often made out? Are people not able to use their intuition when making a sale?

I think the biggest thefts perpetuated are by the scammers selling non existent reptiles and taking peoples hard earned cash.

I think it's just another measure to safeguard your collection against both theft and the threat of viruses and such.
To me personally I just don't see the need for someone to come to my house and view my collection to make a purchase, I think high quality photos and detailed descriptions are more than sufficient to base a purchase on.

Perhaps if your were selling off here then the buyers may be okay. I sell on gumtree and the people that respond sometimes raise the old alarm bells. People offering more money to sell off license. People wanting get the animal and pay later. People wanting to come and have a look while they wait for their license to come through. I agree that 99.9% of the time it's fine and people are above board. But it only takes one crook to wipe out your collection. You just can't replace some specimens. So any line breeding projects or special animals are gone forever.

This may be what your opinion is but I will openly admit I refuse to let a buyer in my house just because they may have sounded nice or legit over the phone. Why take a risk only to regret it down the track and have it eating at you trying to work out who the person was that did it? Why take the risk when you can play it safe? People understand your house is not a brothel when it comes to selling reptiles..and not one has ever had a problem meeting somewhere other than on my front door step.
I made the mistake of giving someone my address because he lived in the next suburb..it was arranged he comes around at 5pm, only to find him knocking on my door at 3pm and with 4 friends..lets just say he new I was annoyed about it. No phone call to let me know how early he would be..and not to mention when hes license was handed over he lived about half an hour away, not the next suburb. who's to say he wasn't sussing things out? Luckily for me we were packing the house to move so we will never know. At the end of the day I will not risk losing my animals nor my much loved possessions in my house over some scumbag.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's just another measure to safeguard your collection against both theft and the threat of viruses and such.
To me personally I just don't see the need for someone to come to my house and view my collection to make a purchase, I think high quality photos and detailed descriptions are more than sufficient to base a purchase on.

The only people coming into my house are those that have already made a purchase. Whether they've actually paid for it or I've deemed their inquiries to be valid enough. I've never said otherwise.

Forgot to mention,the two animals this person purchased off me were back for sale 6 months later. Only to have him pm me again not long after asking if he could come round to purchase two more. You could only guess what my answer was

The only people coming into my house are those that have already made a purchase. I've never said otherwise.
So because they have purchased from you prior that means there is no possibility of cross contamination or the possibility of them ripping you off? Sounds a little naive.
It's up to the two interested parties to decide how they go about the transaction, if you are both happy meeting at one of your houses than more power to you. I just don't think it's fair to assume people are being overly cautious when there have been several large scale thefts over the years.
Take the break in at Amazing Amazon, someone willing to go to that length on a busy road would have absolutely no qualms about kicking your door in while you were out.

In short if I was to be robbed tonight and have all of my animals stolen there would be no way that I could replace them, not just because of the financial aspect but also because it wouldn't be easy for me to source animals of the same quality again.

So because they have purchased from you prior that means there is no possibility of cross contamination or the possibility of them ripping you off? Sounds a little naive.

I do love a good debate. I would, however, request that you read and interpret my responses appropriately.

The only people coming into my house are those that have already made a purchase. Whether they've actually paid for it or I've deemed their inquiries to be valid enough. I've never said otherwise.

I don't know how else to interpret that?

Because they've either already paid for it or their interest and willingness to provide adequate assurances as to their identity results in me making my address available shortly before their arrival!

That is clear yes but you first started the debate because people weren't letting buyers enter their home..nothing was mentioned about a buyer who earns the "privilege" to come in our house after having already sold animals previously..we were stating random buyers that had never bought from us before who we wouldn't let in..so back to it..Wally you agree that you wouldn't let someone in if they were a new buyer and you had not known them previously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back