escape proof feed bowl?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodRunsCold

Banned
Reaction score
is there any bowls that are escape proof for woodys or legless crickets so they dont hide in my tanks?

I had one ages ago I bought from pet barn I used for crickets it was a mini termite mound hollowed out with a plug allowing release of the crickets inside.

Tried these, was pointless..the crickets just come running out and within a couple of minutes (not even) all the crickets have ventured into the enclosure. Waste of money in my opinion I prefer to just chuck one in at a time and watch the dragon run for it then add another and so on..this may not seem like a good idea, but it suits me as I can then take 5 minutes to each dragon enclosure to ensure they are well, and visually assess them as they are eating..I have 9 dragons. May take time but saves wasting money on things that won't do the job especially for a large number of dragons.

i use a plant pot saucer for most of mine look for something with smooth edges or a slight lip ! i use them and they all work realy well untill your lizards jump in there and the crickets use your lizards to escape.
i bought the termite feeder for crickets to stay in and found it useless ! its now a gecko sun bed !! so use anything with smooth sides and low to the ground !

Last edited by a moderator:
you can also apply a thin layer of fluon or vaseline around the rim of the food bowl which the woodies seem to dislike and tend not to go over it...... i used it around the top of my woody colony for a while because i lost the lid :)

Last edited:
Get a container, add in some calcium dust and shake till coated, tip the rest out leaving a fine layer (doesn't have to be much). Roach feet can't stick to a dusted surface.

I had one ages ago I bought from pet barn I used for crickets it was a mini termite mound hollowed out with a plug allowing release of the crickets inside.

Yeah it's the Exo Terra brand. I tried using one for my frogs. I was hoping to condition the frogs that they would recognise the "termite mound" as a source for food every time I placed it in their viv....

All I can say is....stupid frogs. :rolleyes:

Yeah good point... I do the same thing with my Beardy by throwing one cricket at a time...this Works well for him with minimal loss... Baby EWD are a lil more flighty & generally don't feed until I'm out of sight... Vaseline works ok but not great with woodies... Guess I'll just keep trying different dishes & get my hands on some fluron (not sure on the spelling lol)

Ramekins with a strip/band of fluon around the rim, if you want something more 'natural' the exoterra mealworm bowls with the inside lip of the removable rim again painted with fluon also work quite well. Just don't over load them as they'll clamber over each other and escape

This is just an idea, might sound stupid but don't know. Try this, put the crickets/woolies in a container with calcium dust, if desired, put it in fridge for a few mins, which would make them slow, take em out, pour them into a plant pot sourcer or something like that and put it in the enclosure. The bugs should be stunned from the cold for a few mins.. Just an idea....

I have found that a high sided ceramic dog bowl with a gloss coating works well with 1cm of fluon around the top. This is only recommended for larger dragons as hatchies can have a hard time if the bowl is too deep. I picked mine up at a local pet store and works wonders.

Crickets can jump quite high and far. If you were to put them in a container with fluon or vasoline I would be removing their two rear legs.

This was what I did to overcome the problem of escapees
IMG_9077_zpsed9de44c.jpg

IMG_9078_zps560f5348.jpg

IMG_9079_zpsb0eab1a4.jpg

IMG_9080_zps6a261e67.jpg

I was under the impression from a previous thread that Fluon is quite difficult & expensive to acquire.
Something about only being able to buy them in 20LT containers.

Livefoods unlimited (link in side bar on home screen) sells it in as little as 100ml bottles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back