will this cooling method work

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fre0005

Not so new Member
Reaction score
my thermostats, if i turn them on 25 they will stay on till 35 then turn off till they get to 25 then turn back on.. i have been keeping my two coastal pythons like this since i got them.

if i were too drop the temperature during winter (may,june,july) to 15-25.. (remember turns on at 15 turns off at 25 then goes back to 15 and turns back on)

then went straight back to the normal 25-35 in aug, sept, oct.. and at the start of august put them together 3 days on 3 days off throughout august, september and october...

will this method work ?

my understanding of cooling is that snakes still need the opportunity to raise their body temps to the low 30s throughout winter, but for reduced hours.

i wouldnt drop the temps to 25, they need to be able to get warm when they want to to stay healthy.

With my stimmies, through summer they get 24 hour heat of 33 degrees. Now, I'm reducing their day time heat to 28 degrees and 20 degrees night time heat. Over winter, i will reduce the night time heat to 15 degrees but will continue to supply them with day time heat. I've found that if they want to be "cooled" - they lie on top of their hide rather than inside it :)

Yep as the others have said. Leave the temp in the low 30's and reduce the time the heat is on. Just 8hrs a day is enough in winter.

U might find it better to tighten ur temps during summer. Instead of 25-35 maybe 31-34 during day. Then when u cool bring that 3 degree gap down and your snake will more likely react to the cooling which is essential for successful breeding. Also as others have said about day/night temps.

I'd say there's something wrong with your thermostats - they should have a stabilizing effect on temps, keeping them within around + or - about 1.5 or 2 degrees C of your chosen temp, and not allow such a wide fluctuation. That's what they're for.

Jamie

i cant tighten the temperature the thermostats just act like that... alot of them have a 10 degree difference..
i have a imit thermostat in each enclosure.

i cant tighten the temperature the thermostats just act like that... alot of them have a 10 degree difference..

Think about setting your enclosures up properly before you think about breeding. Your thermostats are rubbish, replace them.

32-33deg basking spot year round, reduce photoperiod/time heats on an hour every month from 12 or 13hrs over summer to 8hrs during june and july, then just do reverse from august. Its the overnight lows that do the cooling for you

Having a thermostat that swings 10 deg defeats the point of using a thermostat in the first place imo

No.... only broken ones or ones that don't work properly have a 10 degree difference.

Get a half decent thermostat. For less than 100 bucks ur snakes will be at the correct temps they need and may even breed for you.

Think about setting your enclosures up properly before you think about breeding. Your thermostats are rubbish, replace them.

they are set up properly, its just something Ive recently noticed... and i was considering getting new thermostats for breeding but that's why i posted this because if my current ones will make do.. then why would i spend the extra money ? and chances are they most likely will do. now were you beat as a child or something ? you seem like an angry person, i bet you wouldn't talk like that to someone in person

they are set up properly, its just something Ive recently noticed... and i was considering getting new thermostats for breeding but that's why i posted this because if my current ones will make do.. then why would i spend the extra money ? and chances are they most likely will do. now were you beat as a child or something ? you seem like an angry person, i bet you wouldn't talk like that to someone in person

Come on mate. Everyone is trying to help here.
The situation is that a 10 degree fluctuation in temperature is not any way to keep snakes properly. Though your snakes are fine at present, it doesnt mean that things cant be improved or the health of your snakes may deteriorate. Especially through winter.
Temps in the warm spot should be constant low 30's. Even through winter. The temps are not reduced through winter, just the time the heat is on.
On a 15 degree winters day I can get an IR temp gun and find 32 degrees on the sand or a rock when the sun pops out. Because snakes brumate, not hibernate, they make use of this warmth in the wild through winter. The heat helps fend off any respiratory infections etc. Plus chances are your snakes come from a wamer part of Australia. Here in Perth we get a lot of sunny days in winter. Up North in the pilbara the sun is ever present and even the ambient temps are high 20's in winter.
Hope this helps.

But bottom line you need a few new thermostats as soon as possible. You are making it very hard for your snakes to regulate thier body temps. Generally they can move along the heat gradient in the enclosure to get to their desiered temps. But it's harder to do with the hot spot changing 10 degrees constantly.

It's not a big deal, you know now, so just fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
ill be buying 2 new dimming, day/night thermostats.. but i was checking if these will do me... i have until may before i get the new thermostats because that is when the cooling starts.. i was just sitting out in the shed before to check the difference one enclosure turns on at 27.9 (26.2 cold end) and turns off at 33.5 (29.4 cold end) and the other turns on at 27.7 (26.2 cold end) and turns off at 34.5 (27.4 cold end)
these should do me until i get the new ones

You can lead a horse to water.... But a pencil must be lead....

you can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be graphite

With my stimmies, through summer they get 24 hour heat of 33 degrees. Now, I'm reducing their day time heat to 28 degrees and 20 degrees night time heat. Over winter, i will reduce the night time heat to 15 degrees but will continue to supply them with day time heat. I've found that if they want to be "cooled" - they lie on top of their hide rather than inside it :)

does everyone find this to be true ? lately my female has been laying on top of her hide box in the cool end, but the male is always in his hide box at the hot end

How am I coming across angry? You can bet I would say exactly the same thing in person, an idiot is an idiot regardless of whether I'm dealing with them on here or in the real world.

You obviously don't need our help, your thermostats swinging by 10 degrees is completely normal and effective :lol: Have fun.

How am I coming across angry? You can bet I would say exactly the same thing in person, an idiot is an idiot regardless of whether I'm dealing with them on here or in the real world.

You obviously don't need our help, your thermostats swinging by 10 degrees is completely normal and effective :lol: Have fun.

if anyone is an idiot here its you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back