Snakes allegedly can't get enough milk

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riffherper

Reaction score
Took my bhp out for some sun today before a neighbour approached with a smart remark about snakes before asking me if i feed it milk and telling me about back in the day when snakes used to come into his farm in nsw after all the cow milk. After a five minute argument about how snakes do not drink and do not seek out milk I could no longer be bothered and provided a friendly fake smile as he said 'I think they were milk snakes' :/

lol dont u hate those awkward fake small talk moments. lol funny though that he thinks that :p i just googled it and found this

An early myth about milk snakes is that they suck cow udders to get the milk. The myth is entirely false, and is discredited by the fact that the milk snake does not have the physical capabilities to suck milk out of a cow. Milk snakes are, however, frequently found in and around barns, making use of their cool and dark environments, and for the easily accessed populations of rodents to feed on. This proximity to barns, and therefore cows, probably gave rise to the myth.[SUP][1][/SUP]

Last edited:
Oh and deadset there was no reasoning with him. Black and blue snakes drink milk. I was trying just to be nice and tell him but in the end gave up lol

Actually, lactating mother rodent leak milk which does smell and this milky smell does attract mammal eating snakes. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that the smell of milk may indeed attract some snakes...;)

yeh i was told that rodents may have been drinking the milk and the snake have been caught hanging around milk while tracing the rodents whereabouts

i hope its an old wives tale lol i will be breast feeding a newborn in 8 weeks time! im a mamal lol and i make lots of milk :shock: im scared :lol: no really lol this thread has me paranoid now.

Last edited:
i hope its an old wives tale lol i will be breast feeding a newborn in 8 weeks time! im a mamal lol and i make lots of milk :shock: im scared :lol: no really lol this thread has me paranoid now.
lol actual lost it when i read that...

^ :lol: yeah i had a laugh reading back ova this entire thread.

Actually, lactating mother rodent leak milk which does smell and this milky smell does attract mammal eating snakes. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that the smell of milk may indeed attract some snakes...;)

I suppose pinkies smell like milk so that makes sense

in back in the old days in america a snake was observed drinking milk as there were no sources of water or something like that

So thats where all the milk is going...Ive noticed recently that the coffee is also getting low..I think my snakes are getting out of there enclosures and having a quick cuppa b4 i wake up...That explains why there always awake....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back