powerboards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the input guys. I'm using these powerboards currently.

Edit by Jax: sorry no links so I've posted the pic instead

du8yjahe.jpg
I guess it must be rated for that many outlets and HPM is usually a very reliable brand but I think anymore than 5 outlets seems excessive. The main thing a guess is that you have the plugs pressed in properly and you do not use it in excess of the ratings.

Okay sparkys ....
The specs on that powerboard are as follows :
12 outlets with 10A with 450J surge protection and RFI filtering,

What does this mean in reptile world application.

For example: Can you SAFELY plug in 6 x 100 w heating globes and 6 x 15 w fluoro lights ?

Don't get too technical it's late and my brain is likely to implode !
The 10 amps is your limiting factor that will limit you to (240 volt x 10 amp) 2400 Watts so 6 x 100 W = 600 W plus 6 x 15 W = 90 W therefore giving you 690 W total not counting the slight usage from thermostats this should be fine.

How many 100w heaters ?[

(12 heaters) easily up to 150watts each. Not 200 watts though, as andy said the thermo can use a few watts (12x200 = 2400 + thermo).
Lights and heaters can only be ran together if you are using no thermostat. Depending on what thermostat you were using , the lights would be constantly flicking on and off when the thermostat reaches and drops below the desired temperature.

How many 100w heaters ?[

(12 heaters) easily up to 150watts each. Not 200 watts though, as andy said the thermo can use a few watts (12x200 = 2400 + thermo).
Lights and heaters can only be ran together if you are using no thermostat. Depending on what thermostat you were using , the lights would be constantly flicking on and off when the thermostat reaches and drops below the desired temperature.
Lights and heaters can be run off the same supply. It's just that the lights aren't run through the thermostat.

yeah they can run off the same supply, but you wouldn't want them to. (for reptiles, it doesnt make sense to do so.). unless... you are using the 'no thermostat method' and have a timer on the board.

Mate I'm not a sparky......don't pretend to know much about current and amps etc. I am a firefighter and I know a thing or two about electrical fires and houses burnt to the ground cause of just 1 power board let alone ganging them. If I had my way the only plug would be ones in the wall. Please guys please, don't double up on power boards or double adptors and don't over load them. I really don't want to turn up and have to hose your herp collection away cause of a power board. You might guess by now how much I hate power boards.

People have no idea about how many times we are called out to houses with only a small fire cause by those evil things its only the big ones that make the news. Hardwire your enclosures, use proper rated switches, breakers etc etc. what's a few bucks extra when it could be your herps or worse your own life at risk.

Please re read what was said. It is not recommended. It will turn stuff on but no it won't work properly.

If you want to see some pics I'd be happy to post them. They are not pretty. Might change your mind about power boards.

yeah they can run off the same supply, but you wouldn't want them to. (for reptiles, it doesnt make sense to do so.). unless... you are using the 'no thermostat method' and have a timer on the board.
No too sure what you are talking about? I run everything off the same supply and it works fine.
Wall socket > timer> power board:
>lights
>thermostat >heater

Mate I'm not a sparky......don't pretend to know much about current and amps etc. I am a firefighter and I know a thing or two about electrical fires and houses burnt to the ground cause of just 1 power board let alone ganging them. If I had my way the only plug would be ones in the wall. Please guys please, don't double up on power boards or double adptors and don't over load them. I really don't want to turn up and have to hose your herp collection away cause of a power board. You might guess by now how much I hate power boards.

People have no idea about how many times we are called out to houses with only a small fire cause by those evil things its only the big ones that make the news. Hardwire your enclosures, use proper rated switches, breakers etc etc. what's a few bucks extra when it could be your herps or worse your own life at risk.

Please re read what was said. It is not recommended. It will turn stuff on but no it won't work properly.

If you want to see some pics I'd be happy to post them. They are not pretty. Might change your mind about power boards.

thank you!!!!!!
Well said.

No too sure what you are talking about? I run everything off the same supply and it works fine.
Wall socket > timer> power board:
>lights
>thermostat >heater

You are correct. you can do it that way but i meant...

wall socket > thermostat > powerboard > 12 heaters (this is what I was talking about)
wall socket > timer > powerboard > 12 lights or heaters or combination (this is your setup with your heater/s on thermostat/s)
wall socket > powerboard > thermostats or timers > heaters or lights
wall socket > timer > thermostat > powerboard > heaters.

or you can even go...
wall socket > light/moonlight controllers > thermostat > powerboard > heaters.
wall socket > light/moonlight controllers > powerboard > lights.

Last edited:
Cougar, Is it usually overloading that causes these fires or old outdated or poor quality equipment?

I'm now very worried:(. I run four, x6 power boards from ONE wall socket! (Thermostats, some 24/7, some on/off (Old house, so only one socket per room:(. Rental property, so can't change much.....best course of action...????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phantomreptiles maybe just get 2x 12 way powerboards (1 on each outlet of the wall socket).

Thanks Reptilia:)
Ok, so the best thing to do is get one timer/thermostat and then plug in..???
I currently have several of each plugged into extension cords & power boards (reject shop) we are talking 5w's to 100w's re heating - lights, ceramics, mats and cords...as I said only ONE socket to power the room....,,and I am about to add in timers....

I think this is a very important thread, and we all need to make sure we are not placing ourselves, others or our collections in danger... Lets all check our power points, get tips from experts, and have an evacuation plan for ALL of our family members, (I mean don't forget our scaleys:))

I think this is a very important thread, and we all need to make sure we are not placing ourselves, others or our collections in danger... Lets all check our power points, get tips from experts, and have an evacuation plan for ALL of our family members, (I mean don't forget our scaleys:))

I think the biggest problem is it usually happens when your not home. Best course of action has been explained, not to overload or gang power boards & adapters. You could look at getting a sparky to add more power points? There seems to be plenty of them on the site maybe one is close by.
Money really shouldn't be an issue when we're talking about the safety of an already expensive collection, your family,your home & your livelihood.

I was actually considering getting a safety box made up with a mini CB & RCD with ELP just to put in my herp room so if anything does happen the fault should stop there. Any comments on this from the sparkies? Maybe theres a market for domestic safety boxes or maybe such a product already exists?

I was actually considering getting a safety box made up with a mini CB & RCD with ELP just to put in my herp room so if anything does happen the fault should stop there. Any comments on this from the sparkies? Maybe theres a market for domestic safety boxes or maybe such a product already exists?

Yeah they already exist. Been around for a long time. Usually an orange box with 4 outlets and an earth leakage breaker on it. They use them on site a bit.
I fear it's a waste of money for your herp room though. Your heaters and lights generally are not earthed and as the name suggests it trips on leakage to earth. All you can really do is be vigalent and keep an eye on things. And follow the recommendation of not overloading or piggy backing.

A smoke alarm in the herp room never hurts though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back