powerboards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cougar, Is it usually overloading that causes these fires or old outdated or poor quality equipment?

In all honesty, it can be both or neither. I've seen heaps just catch fire for no good reason. A guy came out and trained us and its to do with how good or bad the contact points are in the plugs as someone said earlier. The cheapies are worse. But it's not hard to hardwire a couple of in line switches to you vivs. That way it's all safe. You can also buy inline timer switches. It makes a neat safe job every time

What's this wall socket thingy everyone keeps writing about? Power points people, power points!

Hahaha. I think AS3000 only refer to them outlets now :p

Haha well us common people,at least the ones without a copy of the Australian standards have always called them power points,unless of course you live in America. :p

A smoke alarm in the herp room never hurts though.

Speaking of smoke alarms does the standard insist on hard wired types? Reason I ask is that I looked at the ones with a 10 year battery life,non hard wired and given that is about the life expectancy of smoke alarms is about 10 years they would be an easier solution.

Haha well us common people,at least the ones without a copy of the Australian standards have always called them power points,unless of course you live in America. :p

Like a "power point" presentation :)

Part of the snake rescue things is the occasional call from Police or Fire to a private residence where the owner is not available and we get to remove any live snakes and lizards that are still there after the fire has been put out. They are always electrical faults. Overloaded GPOs, powerboards etc.

Yeah they already exist. Been around for a long time. Usually an orange box with 4 outlets and an earth leakage breaker on it. They use them on site a bit.
I fear it's a waste of money for your herp room though. Your heaters and lights generally are not earthed and as the name suggests it trips on leakage to earth. All you can really do is be vigalent and keep an eye on things. And follow the recommendation of not overloading or piggy backing.

A smoke alarm in the herp room never hurts though.

I use those boxes at work and they don't provide ELP as far as I know, as most of my power tools don't run an earth, however, all of my appliances in the herp room run earths from socket to the nearest metal object to what's being run, therefore if something shorts and goes live without throwing anything, it will still throw out if you touch it.

I already have a smoke alarm in there. I'm fairly safety sam as far as electrickery goes, I'm a welder, so I'm well aware of it's potential.

Also to Rams, as nobody else has answered, I believe it's standard to have hard wired units in new houses but installing to old houses is your choice.

I use those boxes at work and they don't provide ELP as far as I know, as most of my power tools don't run an earth, however, all of my appliances in the herp room run earths from socket to the nearest metal object to what's being run, therefore if something shorts and goes live without throwing anything, it will still throw out if you touch it.

I already have a smoke alarm in there. I'm fairly safety sam as far as electrickery goes, I'm a welder, so I'm well aware of it's potential.

Also to Rams, as nobody else has answered, I believe it's standard to have hard wired units in new houses but installing to old houses is your choice.
A lot of power tools that are used are now double insulated and therefore do not require an earth. The orange boxes that Snowman described does sound a lot like the ones we use at work which do provide elp , saying that I have not seen them or yours so I could not say with certainty that they are or are not elp .

A lot of power tools that are used are now double insulated and therefore do not require an earth. The orange boxes that Snowman described does sound a lot like the ones we use at work which do provide elp , saying that I have not seen them or yours so I could not say with certainty that they are or are not elp .

Thanks Andy. Glad someone has a clue.

Earth leakage can trip on an unbalanced load as well as the 30mA to earth. So can still be a good idea to use with double insulated power tools incase you cut or nick the lead etc... I know on site everything has to be pluged into an outlet with an RCD and the only power boards allowed are these orange boxes.
Here is a pic of an elp box.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Andy. Glad someone has a clue.

electricians and attitude... you're definitely trained to be special. Andy is also an electrician which is why he 'has a clue'. Don't forget just as I couldn't come and perform your job for a day you couldn't perform mine either.

I did mention I use one myself, I trust it with my life but still don't become complacent like many do. I was just having a discussion with someone about double insulated power tools and I don't understand. Perhaps instead of demeaning people you could explain a bit more about it.... I thought perhaps that's where this thread was going.

I've only just converted from fuse wire to breakers in my house, obviously I'm not a sparky and don't get trained every year to keep up to date with everything new, as with all of us who aren't sparkies believe it or not.

I know as a tradesman myself when I try to teach someone something I usually emphasise the 'why it is so' rather than 'this is how it is'.

I'm not trying to be nasty, just trying to learn.

electricians and attitude... you're definitely trained to be special. Andy is also an electrician which is why he 'has a clue'. Don't forget just as I couldn't come and perform your job for a day you couldn't perform mine either.

I did mention I use one myself, I trust it with my life but still don't become complacent like many do. I was just having a discussion with someone about double insulated power tools and I don't understand. Perhaps instead of demeaning people you could explain a bit more about it.... I thought perhaps that's where this thread was going.

I've only just converted from fuse wire to breakers in my house, obviously I'm not a sparky and don't get trained every year to keep up to date with everything new, as with all of us who aren't sparkies believe it or not.

I know as a tradesman myself when I try to teach someone something I usually emphasise the 'why it is so' rather than 'this is how it is'.

I'm not trying to be nasty, just trying to learn.

Wasn't my intention to sound demeaning. I was just frustrated that you said you use those boxes at work and they do not provide ELP. They are current operated ELCB which we call RCD's.

Last edited by a moderator:
WHY IT IS SO....

Current-operated ELCBs are generally known as Residual-current devices (RCD). These also protect against earth leakage. Both circuit conductors (supply and return) are run through a sensing coil; any imbalance of the currents means the magnetic field does not perfectly cancel. The device detects the imbalance and trips the contact.
When the term ELCB is used it usually means a voltage-operated device. Similar devices that are current operated are called residual-current devices. However, some companies use the term ELCB to distinguish high sensitivity current operated 3 phase devices that trip in the milliamp range from traditional 3 phase ground fault devices that operate at much higher currents
The supply coil, the neutral coil and the search coil all wound on a common transformer core.
On a healthy circuit the same current passes through the phase coil, the load and return back through the neutral coil. Both the phase and the neutral coils are wound in such a way that they will produce an opposing magnetic flux. With the same current passing through both coils, their magnetic effect will cancel out under a healthy circuit condition.
In a situation when there is fault or a leakage to earth in the load circuit, or anywhere between the load circuit and the output connection of the RCB circuit, the current returning through the neutral coil has been reduced. Then the magnetic flux inside the transformer core is not balanced anymore. The total sum of the opposing magnetic flux is no longer zero. This net remaining flux is what we call a residual flux.
The periodically changing residual flux inside the transformer core crosses path with the winding of the search coil. This action produces an electromotive force (e.m.f.) across the search coil. An electromotive force is actually an alternating voltage. The induced voltage across the search coil produces a current inside the wiring of the trip circuit. It is this current that operates the trip coil of the circuit breaker. Since the trip current is driven by the residual magnetic flux (the resulting flux, the net effect between both fluxes) between the phase and the neutral coils, it is called the residual current devise.

With a circuit breaker incorporated as part of the circuit, the assembled system is called residual current circuit breaker (RCCB) or residual current devise (RCD). The incoming current has to pass through the circuit breaker first before going to the phase coil. The return neutral path passes through the second circuit breaker pole. During tripping when a fault is detected, both the phase and neutral connection is isolated.
typical-rcb-circuit.jpg

Speaking of high current faults and being complacent

This is what happened to me at work about 2 years ago because I was so confident in my ability to not make a mistake that I didn't factor in the equipment failure aspect. This is a fuse unit that was feeding a block of offices that had a blown fuse and it should have been a quick change of fuse but the fuse holder developed a fault.

Attachments

• Flash over Bulimba 010.jpg
    Flash over Bulimba 010.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 2011-06-11_13-20-54_327.jpg
    2011-06-11_13-20-54_327.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 92
See kiddies, this is why you go to school, to learn important stuff ! It stops you unintentionally burning your house down because you stuck to many high powered 'things' in your power point/outlet..... thingy !

Seriously though, Thanks Snowman. While it does take a bit of reading its nice to see members take the time to make sure the rest of us have more of an understanding of something that could potentially saves lives.

OUCH AndyNic ! i bet the air was a little bit blue after that one... did you suffer any long term injury from that ?

i kind of looks like you had a latex glove on (please tell me that is a melted latex glove and not skin :shock: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back