What's a good way to tell if your female is ready for breeding?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been debate for years about whether or not it shortens the life span of pythons. That is power feeding and or the age/size of breeding.
To my knowledge though there has been no studies on how long pythons live for that are bred early as opposed to those that are bred later.

people should only be answering this thread if they are a breeder.. not from what they have heard! There is animals welfare at steak here and unless your experienced best to not answer.

I say that with due respect and mean no offence to anyone but do feel its a valid point.

people should only be answering this thread if they are a breeder.. not from what they have heard! There is animals welfare at steak here and unless your experienced best to not answer.

I say that with due respect and mean no offence to anyone but do feel its a valid point.
What qualifies as a breeder? I've bred for the past few years. But I havent done any studies on the effects of breeding undersized pythons. I bred a SWCP two years ago that was only 1.9kg, had 10 eggs, 6 of those hatched the others were slugs and deformed eggs. She is still quite small and I wonder if that was because it took so much out of her when she produced eggs. Another I have same age as that on is almost twice as big. SWCP are one of the smaller carpets, and 1.9kg is small even for a SWCP.
If the OP is thinking of breeding at 2kg. I would recomend waiting another year....

I am not really on this site to have a match with who has the most experience because that is not why I joined this site. I just thought that before someone gets actual experience they rely on what they hear from people with experience and what they read. As I stated "it is what I thought" not what "I know for fact" and am open for correction without condescending tones. I also do not think that the information I gave would ever hurt or "put the animals welfare at risk". I also think because someone does something it doesn't always make it the best or correct way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not really on this site to have a match with who has the most experience because that is not why I joined this site. I just thought that before someone gets actual experience they rely on what they hear from people with experience and what they read. As I stated "it is what I thought" not what "I know for fact" and am open for correction without condescending tones. I also do not think that the information I gave would ever hurt or "put the animals welfare at risk". I also think because someone does something it doesn't always make it the best or correct way.

I hope I didn't offend you...!! I just thought your comment was humurous.
I did go on to explain the basics of breeding and don't see how any tones were condescending. What I have written in this thread is what I know for fact and is not what others have told, it comes from years of breeding. I never said the information you gave would put the animals welfare at risk. Too true, what I do comes from experience and not from what someone told me, right or wrong it works for me and most other breeders I know. I was only offering advice for those that were unsure as to when they could/couldn't breed their animals. The very simple answer is - leave it to them, pair them up, if she is ready she will have a clutch, if not, she won't. No matter how good we think we are, we cannot change nature, she knows best and so do the female snakes you are trying to breed.

Daz

I hope I didn't offend you...!! I just thought your comment was humurous.
I did go on to explain the basics of breeding and don't see how any tones were condescending. What I have written in this thread is what I know for fact and is not what others have told, it comes from years of breeding. I never said the information you gave would put the animals welfare at risk. Too true, what I do comes from experience and not from what someone told me, right or wrong it works for me and most other breeders I know. I was only offering advice for those that were unsure as to when they could/couldn't breed their animals. The very simple answer is - leave it to them, pair them up, if she is ready she will have a clutch, if not, she won't. No matter how good we think we are, we cannot change nature, she knows best and so do the female snakes you are trying to breed.

Daz
Fact is I was offended by some of the comments put on hear and no not all were from you and that is why I did not direct the comments to any particular person. I was told to leave the advice up to the breeders and found that rather condescending. I am an electrician by trade and see a lot of "electrical advice" given by breeders and do not say a word unless it completely wrong or dangerous and then do not shoot the person down about them saying information that they see as true because they have heard experienced people say it. I thought the whole idea of a forum like this was for people to openly discuss things they have heard and possibly learn a few new things. Not sure if it is a generational thing or not but when I talk to people via an e-mail or something similar I would never say things after saying someone was wrong. Maybe I am taking the comments a bit too seriously.

Fact is I was offended by some of the comments put on hear and no not all were from you and that is why I did not direct the comments to any particular person. I was told to leave the advice up to the breeders and found that rather condescending. I am an electrician by trade and see a lot of "electrical advice" given by breeders and do not say a word unless it completely wrong or dangerous and then do not shoot the person down about them saying information that they see as true because they have heard experienced people say it. I thought the whole idea of a forum like this was for people to openly discuss things they have heard and possibly learn a few new things. Not sure if it is a generational thing or not but when I talk to people via an e-mail or something similar I would never say things after saying someone was wrong. Maybe I am taking the comments a bit too seriously.

Fair call and I agree, we are all here to learn and try to help. Problem is some can't take advice or know better as their mate told them. I only try to offer advice, certainly not have a go at anyone by any means. And yes, we sometimes take stuff on here too serioulsy, but simple threads like this are a good reason why most experienced keepers tend not to give advice, as someone newer to the industry knows it all. Just like apprentice electricians, mechanics etc etc etc...:D:D

Daz

Fair call and I agree, we are all here to learn and try to help. Problem is some can't take advice or know better as their mate told them. I only try to offer advice, certainly not have a go at anyone by any means. And yes, we sometimes take stuff on here too serioulsy, but simple threads like this are a good reason why most experienced keepers tend not to give advice, as someone newer to the industry knows it all. Just like apprentice electricians, mechanics etc etc etc...:D:D

Daz
You are right there some people on here do ask for advice and then argue with the experts when they hear an answer that they do not like but I try not to be one of those people and when I am not 100% sure on something I will state that "I think" and am usually happy to be corrected and equally happy to share how I came to thinking what I did. Like I said there was not a lot any particular person said that annoyed me but all combined along with a not so good day I vented my thoughts.

Since when did "rush" come into. The OP was asking how to tell when they are ready..!!
I have absolutlely no idea what the relevance of what I said has to do with BHP hatchies and being one way to get rid of them...??:?

So what issues are you getting at in regards to their health before mating....whiles she gravid and after egg laying..?? There are all these comments about their 'health' but I can't see any list of problems it causes..?? UWS's study on childrens pythons had them breeding at 18 months a few years ago....they had no side affects of breeding at an early age at all. The ones that were too small simply didn't breed. No health issues, no side affects...zilch...nothing. So if there is some documented evidence to the health issues involved in breeding your animals too early I would love to read it. There is enough evidence around to say there are no effects at all, just ask UWS or any larger breeder.

Daz

I gather you havent got a sense of humour...Regarding the coastal hatchies i said to use on BHPs hatchies as a joke...Why put a young-small female through the mating and egg laying if your only going to get a few eggs,its a complete waste of time when in another year shes bigger-older and will have more eggs..You ever heard of egg binding,do you think only old-large snakes get it..Im no large breeder but i have bred-hatched around 500-550 hatchies...I will NEVER pair up a female that hasnt got good size to her....Some people need to build a bridge and get over it...I gave my opionion thats all..After all this a public forum and ANYONE to can there say...

The female is actually a Darwin x Coastal she will be about 2.2kg and about 5 foot at the time of breeding season maybe abit more... I'm just still thinking I have thought of leaving for another season cause the fact I need a certain number of eggs (16)...

The female is actually a Darwin x Coastal she will be about 2.2kg and about 5 foot at the time of breeding season maybe abit more... I'm just still thinking I have thought of leaving for another season cause the fact I need a certain number of eggs (16)...
Do you mind me asking what the need is for 16 eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back