Bought some browns

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

baker

Reaction score
Figured I will post a picture of the two new Eastern Browns that I purchased two weeks ago. They are only 3 weeks old so still quite small.
Cheers Cameron

Attachments

• DSC_0457forum.jpg
    DSC_0457forum.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 344
  • DSC_0444forum.jpg
    DSC_0444forum.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 371
Didn't realise they had black heads with a stripe when young.

Didn't realise they had black heads with a stripe when young.
Don't ever trust a snake ID by the colour of snake. Eastern browns are a very variable species of snake esspecially as hatchlings. I have seen ones exactly like these guys and others that are stripped right down their body.
Cheers Cameron

awesome mate, hows the spotted going? hoping to get my first ven in 6 months when i move house and have a dedicated shed for my snakes

I am very happy with these two. Hoping that the red one gets better with age and that the speckled sort of one holds it. The spotted going great BIGBANG. Will get some more pictures after he sheds.
Cheers Cameron

cool, i am getting heaps of baby browns up here at the moment, swimming pools seem to be good snake traps, they are the only source of water seen it hasnt rained since august last year,people cant believe they are baby browns when i tell them, we have had 2 in the workshop in the last month

all the Baby Browns i find in sydney are fully banded,people never guess there browns they think there tiger snakes lol

I have seen ones exactly like these guys and others that are stripped right down their body.
Cheers Cameron

Stripes are normally considered to run along the body( ie lengthways) whereas bands run across the body.

As an example a lot of Ctenotus skinks are striped whereas common blue-tongues are banded.

Can't think of an example of striped aussie snakes (apart from some carpets), but tigers and some baby browns would normally be considered to have bands.

After checking there seem to be a couple of examples... eg Black-striped Snake (Cryptophis nigrostiatus) and Black-striped Snake (Neelaps calonotus) (also good example of using scientific names over common names – these were both taken from the same field guide!)

Last edited:
Nice! They are very diverse as youngsters. I took this one off some kid who was keeping it as a pet after he caught it in the backyard. Luckily it was fairly placid :p It loved a tickle under its tummy :lol: :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_4366.jpg
    IMG_4366.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 248
Stephen's banded Snake can have a striped version and a number Copperheads get vertebral stripes

they are cute ...any of them showing some attitude ? or are they quiet ? have come across juvies that have been fire crackers and then some that have been garden worms..

Really do hope that at least one of them end up like their mum Skinks. Still have not really seen an attitude out of either of them yet.
Cheers Cameron

Hopefully they get their mothers looks and their fathers attitude because the mum is a huge *****!

That is the main thing I am hoping. Wish that they would start to like mice at the moment. They are starting to get a little annoying.

Here are some update pictures of these two little browns. From the original pictures the bright red hatchling has become the speckled patterned one and the one that had spots has turned black. Funnily enough looks like neither of these guys are going to look anything like their parents.
Cheers Cameron
a22.jpga23.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back