Paralyzed hatchling jungle python :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RSPcrazy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I just checked the hatchling rack and found this unfortunate little fella.

464F4700-E197-493E-8E71-D4CDF97D14DF-19863-000017DED929C43D_zps868e344f.jpg

It looks like the back half of its body is paralyzed from just above the belly button, to the tip of its tail.

I have no idea why this has happened, it was fine yesterday, it's only a week old today, It hasn't even had its first shed :(

I have a video of it, I'll add the link when it's uploaded.

I'm going to speak with my vet tomorrow, to see if there is anything that can be done, and I guess I'll go from there.

very sad, otherwise looks like it is in good condition, might end up with a 100% terrestrial jungle, unless the fact it is only a hatchling the nerve connection may fix itself, i have seen wierder things happen..............................Ron

Really sorry to hear this :( such a beautiful looking hatchling he or she is, please keep us up to date. Good luck

JJ

poor little dude, just watched the video
let us know what happens

I just spoke with the vet. I was told to try swimming it in a warm bath everyday for a week, hopefully it can free up a nerve or something?

If that doesn't work, then I'll have to euthanize it :(

That's a bit of a shame mate, hope s/he pulls through for you... Was this little one from the same clutch as the conjoined twins?

Incubation issue or bacterial infection maybe?? I know this is slightly off topic, but i had a litter of English bully pups which had 2 pups paralysed from the front shoulders back and when taken to the vet, bloods were done and theyd picked up a bacterial infection causing paralasys.... they recovered with meds. Whatever the cause, I hope this little tacker comes good for you...

Incubation issue or bacterial infection maybe?? I know this is slightly off topic, but i had a litter of English bully pups which had 2 pups paralysed from the front shoulders back and when taken to the vet, bloods were done and theyd picked up a bacterial infection causing paralasys.... they recovered with meds. Whatever the cause, I hope this little tacker comes good for you...

My incubation method hasn't changed for the past couple of years, so I doubt it's that. The bacterial infection is an interesting thought, something could of gotten in via its umbilical cord?

How long did it take for your pups to recover?

I just prepared a warm bath for it, but when I came back to get the snake, it was dead:( it was alive 20 minutes ago.

So sorry to hear :( Poor little fella, mother nature can be a bugger some times :(

RIP little jungle, enjoy your perfect body over the rainbow bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back