What snake is this?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Name and shame the cowboys.

Can't say I know names, I've had friends who know I'm interested in snakes ask if they should buy a corn snake due to hearing about breeders who sell them. Sucks to tell them that they are illegal.

90% of the population know nothing about reptile keeping regulations/laws (i just made that up but seems about right) and it's not something the decc makes available easy takes like 10 clicks on there site to get to that info and what normal people randomly go browsing on the decc...

Most people start of with illegal reptiles and only through research into those animals do they find out about laws/licensing...shame too they should really do something to make this public knowledge considering when i went to high school 1/10 people had illegal native reptiles at the least...

most people would not even know they were doing something wrong...lets get the tar feathers and pitchforks though and show our reptile keeping spirit of keyboard warrioring!

JMO but i would rather be a corn in Aus than a jag...probably would live longer too...

Last edited:
If the guy selling it really is a mate, then surely he would have an idea of what species it is. I mean even if he had forgotten you would think you could jig his memory by dropping a few names. Somehow though I cant imagine someone forgetting the name of a snake they have purchased.

Ghost Cornsnake. Anery would be a bit more brown.
About their husbandry, well its nothing special at all. They will burrow, aspen shavings is good. Their heat requirements are next to nothing, but a good average would be 74-87F. A water bowl and a few hides. Humidity is whatever it is in your house or outside. Mine has never been above 50% even in shed. Utter garbage disposals. They are never full.

Perfect size and attitude if you are just starting out. It's too bad you can't keep them there, although I understand why after asking once, lol.

In all honesty, parks would be better off issuing seperate licences for corns and boas because they are bred in huge numbers in oz and are here to stay whether people like it or not and they are generally sold cheaper than natives so newbie keepers will choose them over a native if they have access to one.

At least that way they can keep track of them, make a bit extra in fees for the extra keeping permit and when people get sick of them they will advertise and sell or give them away rather than just letting them go in the wild so they dont risk getting caught advertising them.
Just my opinion.

Last edited:
If it was bout into Australia before the law passed then its not illegal to own I know a bloke who owns a 16 or 17 year old boa constricter and is legally aloud to keep in a highly secure facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back