Is this roster legal?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shell477

Reaction score
Is this kind of split-shift legal... its so ridiculous and not funny at all,..

I am working at a boarding house, and we must provide a 24 hour watch. We lost our overnight worker, so this is how the new rosters were done up. This is in the Northern Territory.
Keep in mind that we have been told we can sleep from around 11pm til 5.30/6am.

Cant decided whether to stick it out for the money and risk burnout, or make a complaint.

Untitled.png

I would question the 2400 finish time on Fri and 0200 start time on Sat as there doesn't look to be the minimum rest period provided. The rest looks ok.

Thats just at a glance

So you work 2 hours on then one hour break over a 24 hour period?

Yeah what Snipercap said.
Without adequate rest period it becomes an OH&S issue.

on the overnight shifts we can sleep and just be on call...

what irks me is just how my 7.5 hours a day are so split up over a 24hour period, basically I don't have enough time to do anything when I only get an hour off here, 2 off there, another hour here etc

According to fair work guidelines there needs to be an 8 hour minimum gap between the end of a shift and the beginning of another if 8 or more hours of work have been done in a 24 hour period I believe.
i.e. 00:00 - 8:00, then 16:00 - 00:00 is the next legal shift... split doubles being a blind eye inclusion...

on the overnight shifts we can sleep and just be on call...

what irks me is just how my 7.5 hours a day are so split up over a 24hour period, basically I don't have enough time to do anything when I only get an hour off here, 2 off there, another hour here etc

Sleeping during shift does not equal "rest period"

we only do 7.5 with an hour for lunch (so 8.5)hours so I guess that doesn't count for us? or should it

I do youth work, (1 on 1 24 hour residential care) for young people also, and do all 48 hour shifts with sleeping roughly between 10pm-6am with no "time off" until I get to go home. Around new years I worked 10 of 14 days because there was no one else for my case. Once you are on shift you have a duty of care to the young person and have to keep looking after them if required (extremely challenging behaviours) well into the night.

You can always confront the roster maker !! . thats what I did as a 16yr old apprentice chef when given a xmas -N/Y roster of one night shift followed by breakfast for two weeks straight .

Confronted ,the head chef broke two of my fingers and i had the whole 4 weeks OFF :lol:

lol what a psycho... hope you loved every minute of it (apart from the broken fingers part lol).

don't want to confront the roster maker as I want to enjoy the next 3 months here and not get on her bad side - she wouldn't change it if I spoke to her so just better off not starting a fight

You can always confront the roster maker !! . thats what I did as a 16yr old apprentice chef when given a xmas -N/Y roster of one night shift followed by breakfast for two weeks straight .

Confronted ,the head chef broke two of my fingers and i had the whole 4 weeks OFF :lol:

That'll teach you, and anyone what not to do with a head chef.

Stop your whinging, you work a 10 hr work day and are allowed to sleep for part of it. I would sacked if I wanted to sleep during my work day.

and you have 14 hours between work days where is the problem?

Suck it up sweetheart

gee thats not bad at all ,try and work on a non roster calling for work orders
the day before with multiply start times and up to 12 hr shifts and 8 hrs between
the next shift... (but the money isnt bad) lol

I work 28 days straight, then have 9 days off before doing it all over again. 12 hours of solid work for every one of those days and then on call for the other 12 hours of that day, sometimes you can work for nearly 24 hours straight... it's not fun, but it's what some of us have to do to earn decent money.

I am sucking it up, I was merely asking and finding out the legalities of it... I AM ALLOWED to do that you know and also am allowed to have an opinion about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back