Show Your Rat & Mouse DIY Racks & Set Ups!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
one of 7 rat breeding racks in the rodent room at the moment. And a bunch of young females that went into breeding racks today replacing some of the older girls.
is that hemp bedding you are using?

where do you get those black tubs? are they concrete tubs ? im a newbie to the whole breeding of rodents and am going to have to start breeding quite soon...
Yep concrete mixing tubs you can buy them from bunnings.

I have a question. It appears that a lot of people use mesh above the tubs and rest the food on top of the mesh instead of in the cages. Is there a reason for this? - making a rattery rack soon, so just figured I'd ask :)

I have a question. It appears that a lot of people use mesh above the tubs and rest the food on top of the mesh instead of in the cages. Is there a reason for this? - making a rattery rack soon, so just figured I'd ask :)

It makes feeding very quick and easy. The rats have no problem eating through the mesh.

I used to have my food on top of the mesh, but it encouraged wild rodents to take residence which was frustrating as they would eat a lot of the food, crap everywhere and of course wild rodents have mites and lice. I now have hoppers inside the tubs.

I can't imagine how a rat would be coping health wise with so much ammonia that it gave the person cleaning, severe ammonia poisoning. If you want long lasting healthy rats, ammonia build up is your enemy. As is dusty bedding.

how much ventilation/air movement did you have through the room?

This was my setup years ago, I had a couple of racks like this in the one room, I had 800 breeding rats, but I got very bad ammonia poisoning when cleaning the rats and had to get rid of them. I can't walk into a rat room anymore without my lungs playing up now.

7857FEB0-B3CB-44EF-8BE7-9FED711A7D38-20338-000018BC557A9992_zps05cd1f19.jpg

55E21798-140D-44F9-9F2A-7C63FC72DBEC-20338-000018BC6A6B9EA6_zps0ddc50df.jpg

I slam them onto the concrete floor... just make sure there is enough force to kill it with one hit, otherwise the rat will be suffering. You can also hold them by the tail and swing them into the edge of a hard corner, hitting around the back of the neck area, tho I don't do that method as there seems to be more blood from my experience.

sorry to be off topic but the way to manually kill rodents humanely if you are against co2 is not throw them at the floor.... place the rat on its stomach, hold a object behind the rats head and put pressure on its neck. hold it by the tail and pull back this will break its neck. the rats are much calmer then being thrown at the floor and if you cant kill your rats humanely as it is too emotional for you stop breeding them and buy from a supplier that can... There are two methods approved by the rspca, Overdose of anaesthetic, asphyxiation via CO2 and Physical methods i.e. dislocation of the neck, stopping the brain from receiving signals of pain because it kills instantly.

Last edited:
Yes snapping a rodent neck is the quickest, most effective and most humane method in my opinion. Most humane because its a quick instant kill. some people cant do it and prefer Co2 and others cant or prefer not to use gassing as its not an instant kill and if you have ever struggled for air yourself its not a pleasant experience. Each to their own method as long as its quick, effective and humane

how much ventilation/air movement did you have through the room?

To the left of that rack, there is a door. At the top of that door, I had a fan blowing in, I had about 3 fans around the room to circulate and push air out the door. I also had a portable air conditioner in there.

Because I had close neighbours that would complain about EVERYTHING, I had to clean the rats twice a week to prevent the smell from getting too bad. I did this for about a year before I got sick.

Its so they dont poo and wee in their food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back