Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha-honestly, I looked at the scaless morph of the death adder & asked my partner if we could have one. He said no hots in the house which is fair I guess. It's always a risk. Wonder if its humane & popular to devenom snakes in AU. My vet friend did so to his viper which was rather a relief when it's decided to turn itself into an ingrown watch last time I handled it. Why don't you guys have any decent lap snakes-ya know, like lap dogs ;-p note humor. I want a snake to just hang out with, not spend my free time running around the house, chasing after it :-/ they're probably so active cause otherwise they'd burn their scales off in this be-darned heat!!!!
5BE2E4AC-4216-4EDE-8541-84D813F063FE-14320-0000105CF60B6FA6_zps0d5f2c1b.jpg

Nice looking viper The devenoming thing isn't popular here at all, quite the opposite, but I'm not gonna go into that.

There is some snakes that will just sit and relax, but no specific species - it'll come down to individual snakes. Sometimes a few of mine will sit around and be lazy but other times they just don't stop.

Is an Irian Jaya allowed there in Australia? They get around 4' same as a female royal.

And unless you bring your royal with you, almost any snake is more active than those lazy things. I need to check mine every day to see if they are still alive. They might not move for days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Irian Jaya seems to be the Darwin Python which is something I looked at but I see many over 2m & as I said, I want something on the smaller side. A roughy huh, guess I should check them out.
eta: holy cow, I just saw the teeth on a roughy. That's like being bitten by a viper with 10 fangs instead of two. Hope they have nice temperaments cause I wouldn't appreciate that in the face. How do they tolerate handling?

Last edited:
If you handle them regularly almost all the smaller species of pythons could almost be called "cuddly" even my big (2m) coastal is a big sook and will readily curl up on my lap or around my neck for hours on end, but same as people there are the ones you could call "Satans Children" and nothing you do will quiet them down, the Anteresia sp will probably fit your bill, but unless you are willing to take on a python that has someone elses personality imprinted on it you are probably better getting a hatchling, unfortunately most hatchling spotteds, childreni and stimmies are quite dull as hatchlings and don't really colour up till after about the 10th shed, you can usually get a fair idea of what they are gunna look like by seeing the parents and any holdback yearlings the breeder has, also as hatchlings most of them are quite snappy but they don't hurt, i have 2 three month old spotteds i have had for about 1 month now, the first 3 weeks they struck at everything but now they are quieting down very nicely. I hope this was some help and you find something here to replace your previous cuddle sticks....................................................Ron

That was a very helpful post, thank you :)
It's strange though, every post I see about snappy hatchlings say they don't hurt but I got tagged by a hatchling blood python the other day-not in Aus-and it stung & bled all over for ages.
I wouldn't mind an adult, my bp was given to me as an adult & although he was very shy for a few weeks, he's a puppy dog now. The nice thing about hatchies though is that they are so cute!! Tiny little worms. I almost never get to see any small breed hatchies except DOR & frozen specimens.

Last edited:
If you're in victoria look up Peter Birch's reptiles as he has some fantastically coloured morphs of most antaresia's... they're passive as for pythons... not quite your blob balls... but beautiful.... not sure why you don't like our BHP's but having said that I'm not a Woma woman myself either... there are diamonds that you might like to look at esp. high yellows.... have fun in your search for your Aussie snake friend... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back