Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My very first dragon, Jasper, survived a broken leg and a broken jaw from MDB when she was really young. When I got her, we fixed the problem and both the leg and jaw healed perfectly with some antibiotics and some tlc.
Then 2 years ago she sent her eggs down the wrong tube to lay them and they got trapped and rotted, so we decided to operate because it was her last hope. She came through it like a champ and vet said she was spayed except for tiny sliver of ovary he couldn't get as it was still too inflamed.
Lo and behold she became gravid again, much to everyone's surprise and shock. She laid her eggs perfectly this time and we ended up with 20 babies. Because she was still recovering from surgery when she laid the second clutch, most of the babies died within a few weeks of hatching, but 3 survived.
I sold one and kept two, and even at 1yo they are seriously tiny still. My baby Peter-pan is the same size as a normal 3 month old dragon.
So not only is my big girl Jasper (7yo now) a miracle lizard, but her babies are too.

Pretty obviously a lizard that should never be bred..

URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
So you knew it was still a possibility the dragon could become gravid , then while she was still on the mend you housed her with a male !!!. That's just crazy!!!.

The reptile vet told me she was totally spayed. It was when I went back with her full of eggs that he admitted that he'd left a sliver of ovary. Beardies shouldn't be able to become gravid on just a sliver of ovary anyway. No one has ever had one do it before. No one I've ever spoken to anyway. And I didn't house her with a male. She was by herself. Cheeky little thing had been holding onto sperm.

Pretty obviously a lizard that should never be bred..

And was never meant to. Didn't know the male was a male.... He was too young to be sexually mature....well we all thought so anyway.

she sounds like an extremely strong and special beardie and certainly a miracle, great story! mind posting some pics of her and her young ones?

Thankyou bohdi13, I think she is very special! :)
This is my little family at Christmas last year. It was our Christmas card cover!
Family+Portrait.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
mate i dont want no arguments, the guy you're giving your opinion too might know a lot more then you, and also know what he is talking about. How are you meant to know whether she was still injured anyways?

thanks bohdi13, again. I had the advice of our reptile vet and several of the local breeders and beardie keepers and that is still how it all went down.

no problems 'lizardjasper' i understand it more than likely wasn't meant to happen. but hey we all have to deal with these things. stuff what other people think if they are only telling you things that won't help. Such a lovely photo, she is stunning.

My specials are

filet mignon w/ red wine jus
Atlantic salmon w/poached eggs on a bok choy salad

and also my snakes,
not to play favourites, but, I am especially excited about the arrival of my new girl Addie :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back