What's a good first snake that aren't a large species?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RileysGeckos

Reaction score
Hay guys just wondering what would be a good first snake that don't grow to big and are good handlers?
cheers riley

You will get many opinons on personal choices,Womas and RSP's would be my personal choices

How do they go with handling and do they tend to bite more? And an others?

Depends on the personality of your snake, if you have buy a hatchling your expected more bites because they are trying to defend themselves, but womas are pretty placid snakes. Mine is still a hatchling and ive only got bitten once.

I have 2 womas, one is placid and has no food response at all and the other one well......not so much see pic

Attachments

• DSC01398.jpg
    DSC01398.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 66
Yeah it does depend on the personality of the snake too, aswell as how often u handle it and stuff like that.

As I understand it Woma size depends a certain amount on lineage. More southern breeds tend to be shorter if I remember right but then again I don't think 2m is big... and the Woma's I am familiar with have all been gorgeous to handle.

If you want smaller the obvious answer is the three Anterasia for me either Mac or Stimi over Childrens. You could also look at pygmy childrens. If you are in NSW I'm pretty sure Roughies are a Cat 2 license.

I did a heap of research before I got mine. Same as you, I wanted something that wasn't going to get too big. My research concluded that woma get big ;).. I went with a Broome Stimson :)

As for price, you can get a Stimson sometimes they arise on here for a out $100 and they go up from there. :)

Any of the antaresia (childrens, stimmies and spotted.) are great. Most max oout at approx 1m with spotteds getting slighly larger to 1.2 or so. However I find Womas to be a better snake IMO. They have less chance of going off food. Usually more reliable handlers and they have a mock bite (headbutt) thing. Plus there personality is just the clown of the snake world. And there patterns range a fair bit and are nice.
@ reptile ben: Most womas get around 1.5. Boodaries are about 1.2 or so but the SA's get to 2m give or take.

Ahh I had it asp about... southerns are longer. :facepalm:

I'm confused now so what are the estimated or average size for both snakes?

Spotteds - 1.2
Stimsons - 1.0
Childrens - 1.0
Woma - 1.5 (SA - 2.0) (Some WA animals - 1.2 or so)
This is a rough size average but it depends on the individual animal. (Anyone feel free to adjust my measurements given)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back