Taking reptiles off premises?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananapeel

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
So as part of yr 9 at the school I'm at, we go away for a term. I will be going in term 3.
I was told pets were allowed at the place we're going to and I'm pretty sure they are but that's another matter which I'll have to clarify.
I was thinking I should take my snake with me as it makes it easier to keep it up there with me than with my family who although I trust, I'll still be a paranoid mother without her baby ahahah.
Anyway, to the point, I know reptiles are supposed to be kept in the location specified on the licence so my question is, is there any chance of getting legal rights to take him with me? I will of course need to contact the DSE to check for sure but thought I'd ask here anyway. Am I wasting my time?
And please no stuff about "are you able to look after it up there" etc etc. I know I can. We are in houses and I'll be sharing a room with my friend so yeah. And we have a freezer for mice and he's only small anyway so a sizeable click clack and stuff is all he need. Heat cord etc. My brother went 2 yrs ago so he knows what it's like and I went up to visit.

Hopefully someone can let me know if there's any chance... :)
Cheers guys!

Give it a go at getting legal permission, maybe we'll all learn something from it! I've had a friend go overseas for almost a year and he sent his frilly down to another friend to be looked after while he was away. Got permission and everything. So who knows, maybe you'll get lucky!

Can't you just say you have a change of address and then change back on your return, nothing different than moving house Iwould think.

It should just be a small formality but knowing DSE there will likely be some admin charge... :rolleyes:

Best bet to do what you plan and check with the DSE as I'm sure they may understand the circumstances, you are not taking him away for display.

On a side note, how do you go away for a whole term?

what if snakey escapes mate? at home you would no doubt find it as you are a smart girl who would snake proof her room, but taking your baby to an unknown area is a total risk. I would educate a family member how to care for it or put it into brumation and then your mum\dad only has to change its water every few days and keep an eye out for problems.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will definitely get in touch with the DSE. Haha gruni. Trust them to add some invisible fine print somewhere in there.
@paultheo - I understand where you're coming from and you make valid points. Of course there's a bunch of other things like the ones you mentioned to consider before deciding. Him escaping could be a risk however if I ensure the enclosure is always secure and don't make silly mistakes which is usually the cause of accidents I think he should be ok. And other kids can't come in the house and my friend will be the only other person in my room so there won't be idiots letting him out etc. but yes there are other factors to consider.

On a side note, how do you go away for a whole term?

Not quite sure I understand what you mean by 'how' do I go away for a term but pretty much the school has bought a property up at clunes (a small town nearish ballarat) and they've built some houses and other buildings. So in yr 9 you pick which term you want to go in and are given usually 1st or 2nd preference and then you list some friends and you get some of them and you go and stay in the house with 6 or so other kids (girls in my case) one or two from our campus and the others from a different campus. Then you have to get along, cook, clean, wash, shop etc etc and just be independent. Then there's activities like running, fitness, music, drama, volunteer work etc and yeah. Sounds pretty fun! I'm stoked to be able to go! Can't wait! Escape the parents haha. Go herping too!

So you don't go to school in that term? Sounds like a lot of responsibility for a bunch of 14 year olds. Your parents and school must put alot of trust in you all. Especially considering some of the things me and my friends got up to that age. :shock:

As for the legal side of it, ask DSE if you could temporarily change your residing address, stating your reasons. It shouldn't cost anything.

There are some staff people but yeah there's a fair responsibility. We've already worked out that there are some particular people who will be suspended and sent home. Haha. Will be a lot of fun except that one weekend the boys get to camp with there dads and girls get to send a letter to their mum. Sexist and unfair!? I think I'll go camp with my mate and his dad thankyou very much. I'm always nagging dd to take me out camping :(

Wow sounds pretty bizarre. If you haven't being camping you really are missing out. Road tripping and camping are the best ways to see our beautiful country, not to mention you are bound to see some interesting wildlife.

Dse will give you a heap of grief. Good luck

Yeah I'm expecting that from them eipper haha. Typical of them to. Yeah I've been camping a few times RedFox but most times are at boring holiday parks with stupid kids screaming and running through our stove area etc. I was in singapore for 5 yrs too and there wasn't much opportunity to camp in the bush. I'm hoping to go to NT or somewhere because I watched Chris Humphrey's show and he saw so much wildlife! :(

Personally I wouldn't bother going into too many details with them except for a temporary change of address.

Personally I wouldn't bother going into too many details with them except for a temporary change of address.
Me too, if you explain the story about a bunch of 14 year olds living independently with your reptile they may say no but if you just say it is a temporary address change they should be fine.

It's a school activity and Banapeel already said the school owns a property, they will hardly be 'independent' as the schools duty of care will stipulate that there is a ratio of staff to students with adequate supervision, even if each group is made responsible for budgeting and other tasks. It would be illeagl to allow students that age to 'live alone'.

All that DSE need to know is that you will be at a new residence for term 3 as part of a school 'exchange' type of program.

A few weeks ago I asked DSE for a temporary address change as I was moving to QLD and had to move from my share house to my grandparents for a couple weeks. I haven't had any problems with them but then my dealings have being extremely limited. Whereas DEHP have being fairly painful and everything has a fee attached to it.

It's a school activity and Banapeel already said the school owns a property, they will hardly be 'independent' as the schools duty of care will stipulate that there is a ratio of staff to students with adequate supervision, even if each group is made responsible for budgeting and other tasks. It would be illeagl to allow students that age to 'live alone'.

All that DSE need to know is that you will be at a new residence for term 3 as part of a school 'exchange' type of program.
I used the word "independent" because that is the word the OP used in her post. I know that there would be teacher supervision and I was not suggesting that she would be irresponsible or they would be ruining wild. I was just saying how it would sound to the authorities if you tried explaining it and it would be best to just say it is a temporary address change. If you think it is best to explain the full situation then feel free to suggest that to her.

Information is a dangerous commodity especially in the hands of a government department. Tell them as little as possible to achieve your aims, volunteer nothing and answer only what's asked.

Sorry if it seemed like I singled you out Andy but it was as much Redfox's comments about the maturity of 14 year olds and like a lot of threads on here have tended to do I thought I would just pre-empt the way people tend to grab onto one part of what is said and focus on it. I don't see any real issue with BP being honest with the DSE and explaining the situation simply because I know the level of responsibility put on schools to be able to run this type of program successfully.

I understand your view and it has its merits Gruni and I agree that BP seems more mature and responsible than a lot of adults but the DSE do not see the posts on hear. I must say even though I understand your view on this I don't think you will ever change my view on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back