Snake not eating please help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Defected

Reaction score
Hey guys i have a diamond python about 11weeks old it hasnt had a fed for about 3-4weeks since i picked it up from the breeder. Im feeding it defrosted pinkys ive pierced the head with a pin so he can smell it, ive heated it up with a hair dryer, ive put it in a container then in warm water, ive tried leaving it in the enclosures.. Nothing seems to be working
Any tips???

I am happy with the temp in the enclosure so i dont think thats the problem

Have you been in contact with the breeder to ask how they were feeding them, they may have some tips or ideas for you

my roughie was the same. What worked for me was a defrosted in warm water fuzzie mice, dipped in warm egg yolk. I just let my roughie roam around on top of plastic container, while I riggled the fuzzie just away from her trying to smell it. she then after awhile started to open her mouth and in it went. this was after 4 weeks of picking her up also.

Last edited:
Pinky's for a diamond hatchy? You sure? We start ours on hoppers. Check with the breeder. If they are decent they will help and advise you.

Egg Yolk ended up being the most effective for me too.
Even more effective than: Tuna, Chicken, Switching back from Rats to Mice, Braining/Gutting, whatever you could think of.
Only thing i hadn't tried, but would of if the Egg Yolk didn't work, was Quail.

Last edited:
I do not understand...if the animal was eating when you bought it..why would you be using supplements to get it to eat, unless that was what the breeder was doing??? There should be no need for anyone to do that.

Hey guys thanks for the tips, when i did buy it the breeder said he was feeding live pinkys if i heard him correctly on the day... Ive also been told its hard to get them off live food once they have been started on it so il try anything

Where are you?
And...nice to know you're happy with temps. How does the snake feel about them?

In newcastle, snake cant really tell me but what ive been told and read ideal temp is 28-32

Is that temp 24/7, does the animal have places to escape the heat, is that overall enclosure temp or hot spot? Hot spot for a few hours per day is fine. As a back ground temp you are too hot IMO

I had this problem with one of my jungles. I left it in a darkened room for a week without disturbing it. I then dipped the defrosted mouse in warm chicken soup before offering it and it worked.

I had this problem with one of my jungles. I left it in a darkened room for a week without disturbing it. I then dipped the defrosted mouse in warm chicken soup before offering it and it worked.

Did you have to keep dipping it in Chicken Soup or did it go back to feeding normally the next time?

The 'live feeding' should have deterred you from buying it. When we sell our hatchies we ensure they feed consistently on thawed food items. You might have to try force feeding until it begins feeding on its own.

Did you have to keep dipping it in Chicken Soup or did it go back to feeding normally the next time?

It was just a one-off. Since then it has eaten every time. I still believe leaving it alone for a week (apart from quickly checking on it's water each day) also had a lot to do with it.

Theres no need to start scenting atm with egg yolk-chicken soup etc..Its only been a few weeks..In most cases its generally the temperature-stress-new enviroment...As long as it has a nice warm end {32-34} and a cool end with a hide in both ends then it should eat on its own..I would try a weaner mouse or velvet rat..make sure its nice and warm and offer the snake..If it doesnt eat then leave alone for a week with minimal disturbance and try again...Scenting etc should really only be a last resort..hatchies etc can go months without a feed so 3-4weeks wont harm the snake...What time of day-night are you trying to feed it..as early night seems to work well for hatchies....You say the breeder was using live food..then use tweezers and move the food item around as if it was live..All we need is just a little patience..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back