Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should make this thread a genetics wiki

Last edited:
read the complete carpet python page 261 ''modes of inheritance''

Last edited:
Can you further explain the difference between co dominance and incomplete cominace. Examples would help.
Cheers Liam

if you want to learn genetics you might want to learn the correct terms... 1 dominant gene all babies will look like the dominant parent no matter what the other parent looks like. 2 incomplete dominant which is what everyone is wrongly calling ''co dominant. 3 co dominant which is when two dominant genes are expressed in the same snake.... ie if black is dominant and orange is dominant when you breed them together the babies will show both dominate colours being ''co dominant''
everyone else that has contributed to this thread has written in a way that could be understood for someone like myself. that post looks just like words on a page to me. +1 for examples

if you want to learn genetics you might want to learn the correct terms... 1 dominant gene all babies will look like the dominant parent no matter what the other parent looks like. 2 incomplete dominant which is what everyone is wrongly calling ''co dominant. 3 co dominant which is when two dominant genes are expressed in the same snake.... ie if black is dominant and orange is dominant when you breed them together the babies will show both dominate colours being ''co dominant''
I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion? Which morph are you referring to? Or do you mean every reptile mutation referred to as "co-dominant" is actually incomplete dominant? If you're talking about Caramels, I guess you could say that the colouration is a blending of wild type colours and Caramel colours but with something like Jags, you are saying that the heterozygous form is somehow a blending of leucistic and wild type?
Also, your first point is only correct if the dominant parent is homozygous. If the parent with the dominant gene is heterozygous, it doesn't necessarily mean every baby will express that trait.

everyone else that has contributed to this thread has written in a way that could be understood for someone like myself. that post looks just like words on a page to me. +1 for examples

Try this: Incomplete & Codominance
It will explain it better than a forum poster probably could (Unless Bluetongue1 decides to join the conversation :))

the complete carpet python page 262

Last edited:
Should make this thread a genetics wiki

Haha :p

BTSmorphs, sounds like you need to do a bit more learning about genetics ;) What you wrote is completely incorrect.

So much misinformation gets spread around that it is a wonder how anyone manages to learn anything correct from the Internet. Even people who know correct information struggle to explain it in a way that is accessible to learners, and doesn't create further misconception.

I shouldn't of wrote when you breed two ''dominant'' genes make a co dominant animal but I didn't know how to explain it so people would understand but a co dominance is when an animal with two different alleles of a gene displays both phenotypes simultaneously. so Im wrong?

Yes :p That stil doesn't make sense. A co dominant trait is not to do with two different alleles and traits combining to be visible at the same time. Having one allele of a co dominant trait (heterozygous for the trait) will produce a mild phenotype, while having two copies of the same allele for the trait (homozygous for the trait) produces a more exaggerated phenotype.

Eg. in rats the coat type "rex" is co dominant. Having one copy of the rex allele (Rr) makes a rat with a slightly curly coat and slightly curly whiskers. Having 2 copies of the allele (RR) makes a rat with a much curlier coat and whiskers. This is completely independant from other coat modifying genes that may be displayed at the same time. Co dominance only refers to the mode of inheritance of one trait, independant of any others.

Can you further explain the difference between co dominance and incomplete cominace. Examples would help.
Cheers Liam
there the same thing just different name same as some say jag some say rpm

Co-dominant & recessive are modes of inheritance. A jag is a "visual het" of the jag super form ie: a leucistic. Incomplete dominant morphs can usually be determined visually from the normal wild form.

Dominant - Dominant alleles are just that, dominant. In simple terms, they are what you will see any time they are present, whether as a pair or in combination with a recessive allele. Typically, all 'normal' traits are dominant, while 'abnormal' traits are recessive.
Incomplete dominant - A recessive allele which is passed along in typical fashion, and may have an 'intermediate' appearance when present alongside a normal allele, and yet another appearance when present alongside another recessive allele. In some cases, an incomplete dominant trait may or may not express itself visually when paired with a dominant allele. Incomplete dominant mutations are frequently called 'codominant' by many keepers. Some examples are the jag carpet mutation and the hyper melanistic eastern blue tongue which both have an intermediate visual het form (or het for the super form)
Recessive - Recessive alleles will only be visible if paired with another recessive allele. Typically, any animal expressing an abnormal trait is in possession of a matched pair of recessive alleles, while any animal appearing normal may or may not be carrying one recessive allele. an example is the albino carpet python
Homozygous - Having two paired alleles of the same case (AA or aa). Whether the alleles are dominant traits or recessive traits, they are both the same and the trait will be expressed visually.
Heterozygous - Having two paired alleles of different case (Aa). Typically, these animals appear normal, being indistinguishable from normal homozygous animals (AA).

The Learning Center - Genetics 101

There is a slight technical difference between incomplete dominance and co-dominance, but when talking about reptile genetics with hobbyists it really makes no difference which term is used. However the co-dom term is more entrenched even if not 100% correct in all instances.

I shouldn't of wrote when you breed two ''dominant'' genes make a co dominant animal but I didn't know how to explain it so people would understand but a co dominance is when an animal with two different alleles of a gene displays both phenotypes simultaneously. so Im wrong?

"co dominance is when an animal with two different alleles of a gene displays both phenotypes simultaneously. so Im wrong?"

No your not wrong in that copied text from nick's book, but having a bit of a go at ingrid whose a really nice person isn't very polite either.

Co-dominance is when both alleles are visible in the phenotype simultaneously. A red homozygous flower and a white homozygous flower will produce offspring whose flowers have red and white spots displaying both visually hence the co-dominance because neither is recessive or dominant to the other allele.

If a red homozygous flower and a white homozygous flower produced offspring whose flowers were pink (and more a blend of the two colours with neither dominant over the other) it would be incomplete dominance

But as said above and also by Nick & Justin in the Complete Carpet Python, Co-Dominant is commonly used describe any morph that generally follows co-dominant or incomplete dominant breeding result patterns.

Can someone recommend a book or link to make my small mind understand all this genetic material.

Genetics for herpers is also a must read book. Its less than $20 delivered so everyone interested in reptile genetics should have a copy. It is written by the same person as the website colin linked above "Genetics 101". Similar context but a great resource read when u have some down time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back