Heat guns

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrett

Reaction score
What are peoples opinions on hand held laser heat guns?

My mum has one and I use it here and there to check temps, though I am never sure if it is correct as it will sometimes give me different temps for items that I have re-checked only seconds after the first reading (ocd, got to check at least twice in a row ;) )

They are actually infra-red heat guns....those with a laser are only for pinpointing the centre of the measuring area.

If used correctly we have found ours to be accurate to within a degree in most cases - we have been using one for my wifes business now for nearly 4 years. The secret is in using them correctly as many people get incorrect readings by not understanding the 'cone' effect when applied to distance from the item being measured. Most of them will take an 'average' reading of the beam area which increases in size proportionately with the distance the gun is held from the object. They do not measure solely at the laser dot. If you hold the gun 10 inches from the surface you want to measure, you may be measuring an 'average' of an area 3 inches in diameter, which may include items that you are not wanting to measure (ie - side wall of enclosure etc....). When taking enclosure temps I hold my gun within an inch of the surface I want to measure - have had accurate readings every time.

Once you understand this and use it accordingly you will find the readings to be quite accurate - this has at least been our experience anyway.

I have a zoomed one and it's fantastic. So much more economical than buying 2 permanent thermometers for each enclosure or whatever.

The secret is in using them correctly as many people get incorrect readings by not understanding the 'cone' effect when applied to distance from the item being measured. Most of them will take an 'average' reading of the beam area which increases in size proportionately with the distance the gun is held from the object.

Once you understand this and use it accordingly you will find the readings to be quite accurate - this has at least been our experience anyway.

You explained that nicely.

I have and use one.
I have had some digital thermometers give off false readings towards the end of the battery life so the I.R Gun gives great piece of mind

I'm after one at the moment, any particular brands better than others? cheers

I got a 'Fluke' brand one from ebay for $40.
It has a laser pointer and is quite accurate.

Cheers for the replies guys. will give it another test at a slightly closer range.

I got a 'Fluke' brand one from ebay for $40.
It has a laser pointer and is quite accurate.
Yep Fluke is a very trusted brand. I love my fluke multimeters and voltage testers. And of course my fluke temp gun.

If you are looking for IR THERMOMETERS on line. Then probably don't call them heat guns. Most places refer to them as IR temp guns or IR thermometer guns.
The term heat gun is generally applied to the appliances that blow hot air and look a lot like a hair dryer.

they work wonders. i got mine from an industrial supplies distributor, ordered it through work and had it delivered same day. i've been burned by ebay too many times.

Might be a stupid question but can you use it to measure air temps in an enclosure & how would you go about it?

Might be a stupid question but can you use it to measure air temps in an enclosure & how would you go about it?

Infra red thermometers will only read a surface temperature - it does it by reading the reflected IR light that it beams toward it. They will not read air temps as there is nothing to reflect the IR light.

For air temp I believe you would need a conventional probe thermometer and place the probe in the airspace you wish to measure, being careful that it is not going to be affected by any radiant heat source that may warm the probe itself and increase its temp.

Cheers for the quick response...I had a fairly good idea that they wouldn't measure air temps...but then again I was imagining maybe some sort of attachment that would allow it to reach just a couple inches in front...

On 2nd thoughts...can it read water temps if you aimed it at the surface?

I'm trying to convince myself to buy one. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back