Identifying 2 frogs, Atherton Tablelands

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexandra_mohr

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,
can you help me to identify this 2 frogs? I take the pictures in Atherton Tablelands...
Is it Green-thighed Frog Litoria brevipalmata? They are not maked in my book for this region...
Thank you,
Alexandra

MC259715.JPGMC259718.JPG

And which toad is this? It is also Atherton Tableland:
MC249404.JPG

Last edited:
cant help you with the top 2, but that bottom one is definitely a cane toad one of Australia's worse invasive species.

Probably litoria junguy. However pretty rusty on my frogs ATM.

I feared that it was a cane toad...
It was awful to see how many there are...

Litoria jungguy and the toad is Rhinella marina

Hello. If you found these in north queensland the first two are litoria wilcoxii, Wilcox's frog. The stony creek frog or Lesueur's frog, litoria lesueurii, is found in Vic/southern NSW. Both sub species are very similar. The Wilcox are slightly larger with more and darker flecks. Another similar frog is the Jungguy frog, litoria jungguy, which inhabits Tully up to Atherton tablelands.

The yellow one is the male and the brown the female, quite a bit larger. I live on the Sunshine Coast, qld. cane toads in every pond. I do my best to keep them in check.

No doubt cerebral in location and evidently sufferring the effects thereof already...

Do you mean an 'aneurysm'?

Oh my god it's already effecting my spelling. :O I'm doomed.

So guys is there a way to tell jungguy from wilcoxii? I'm pretty sure that both are on the Atherton Tableland and have some contact zones there??

Oh my god it's already effecting my spelling. :O I'm doomed.

Do you mean 'affecting'?

There isn't really any reliable morphological characteristics I know of to distinguish them and the paper describing them is not particularly useful. L. jungguy appears to be a bit more arboreal as I often see them on vegetation or perched on the side of trees. In contrast, L. wilcoxi I can't recall having seen them climbing trees and shrubs. I've also noticed some differences in the tadpoles of L. jungguy and wilcoxi but I'm not sure how consistent they are as I am working from a small sample of L. jungguy tadpoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back