Do snakes yawn.......

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bradf76

Reaction score
I see my hatchling yawn sometimes....is she yawning or stretching her mouth.....sorry for dumb question...lol

mine do the same thing but i think its yawning not sure tho

excessive yawning can be a sign of a respiratory infection, but most snakes will 'yawn' occasionally. I believe it is to re-align their jaws (not because they are tired like humans). You often see a snake 'yawn' after feeding.

Right place, right time.... he wasnt interested in his food... just a big yawn looking action haha:)

Bradles73au

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363767199024.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363767199024.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 103
  • uploadfromtaptalk1363767221950.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363767221950.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 106
snakes realign there jaws after a feed and sometimes will open their mouths like a yawn butnot often, if your snake is excessively yawning it could be a sign of Respitory infection (RI)

snakes realign there jaws after a feed and sometimes will open their mouths like a yawn butnot often, if your snake is excessively yawning it could be a sign of Respitory infection (RI)

He rarely does it and its even more rare that I catch him. I thought he was going to smash down the food too but wasnt interested. Im guessing to he was realigning his jaw too as he was moving it from side to side. The one strange thing he was doing... he looked like he was trying to scratch the sode of his head on the enclosure as of he had an itch. Could he be coming into shed as he hasnt had one yet

Bradles73au

I have a Southwest Carpet who has a very rigid routine. In the evening when the heat turns off for the night he will come out from his warm hide, climb up to the highest part of his enclosure, hang down in a beautiful S shape in a perfect ambush position and yawn. To me it almost looks like he is preparing his mouth for action. He has done this routine for at least the last 5 years unless he is in shed, summer, winter, it doesn't seem to change. Aside from this he appears to be in perfect health, with a very good appetite. To answer the OP, I would suggest it occurs for a combination of all the reasons above.

Kind Regards

Wing_Nut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back