How Old Is My Bredli? and other stories

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueGecko

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Ive recently acquired a bredli for free from the NSW Dpt of whoever licensed us.

We were told it was juvenile.. Wondering how juvenile she/he would be at 1m long and about 2.5cm fat.

Also needing to upsize her tank as she's in our lizards'old one. How much room wil she need as an adult (I know they can get about 3m?) AND will this size make her vulnerable now? I don't really want to upsize again.

Also are bredlis climbers? She gets active at night and gets as high as she can.

Any other info on Bredlis would be great too. She's a bit bitey but she was abandoned so we handle her as much as possible. She has a healthy appetite too :)

Attachments

• 20121202_131958.jpg
    20121202_131958.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 171
Her age really depends on how often she/he had been fed saying it was fed once every week or so it looks to be between 2-2.5years
As far as handling goes she might be flighty because of stress make sure it is settled into its new home with lots of hides once she is preety comftable start handling her just work on smooth movements and she shouldn't bite.

Her age really depends on how often she/he had been fed saying it was fed once every week or so it looks to be between 2-2.5years
As far as handling goes she might be flighty because of stress make sure it is settled into its new home with lots of hides once she is preety comftable start handling her just work on smooth movements and she shouldn't bite.

We dont think she was fed regularly as she's grown really quickly since feeding her regularly and we dont know how long she was left alone for. She is settled (had her for a few months now) and hasnt bitten us since but is very wary of us.

I honestly don't think anyone could accurately tell you, it all depends on how much they're fed. That could be a fairly normal sized yearling, or a bit under sized 2-3 year old. I have a 2 year old bredli that is bigger than most peoples 6 year old bredli, really can't tell unless you know D.O.B

Hmmmmm, this is a little off track so please forgive me, how did you get into or onto the Ballot, i have spent hours on the NPWS site and have still not found out how to put your name down, PLEASE HELP set me str8 b4 i go madder, Beautiful Bredli btw just what i have been looking for............................................Ron

Hmmmmm, this is a little off track so please forgive me, how did you get into or onto the Ballot, i have spent hours on the NPWS site and have still not found out how to put your name down, PLEASE HELP set me str8 b4 i go madder, Beautiful Bredli btw just what i have been looking for............................................Ron
OEH sends an email to licence holders that are in the area. all the instructions are contained in the email. I dont think I ever signed up to receive these emails; I just figured I automatically got them because I have a valid license.

The Dept of whoever licenced you gave you an animal that you no nothing about ?????
(Calmly backs away.... maintaining eye contact............... rrruuunnn..........)

The Dept of whoever licenced you gave you an animal that you no nothing about ?????
(Calmly backs away.... maintaining eye contact............... rrruuunnn..........)

...no. We knew she was healthy and handleable and needed a home.

Does anyone have any info on my other questions?

Hi all,

Ive recently acquired a bredli for free from the NSW Dpt of whoever licensed us.

We were told it was juvenile.. Wondering how juvenile she/he would be at 1m long and about 2.5cm fat.

Also needing to upsize her tank as she's in our lizards'old one. How much room wil she need as an adult (I know they can get about 3m?) AND will this size make her vulnerable now? I don't really want to upsize again.

Also are bredlis climbers? She gets active at night and gets as high as she can.

Any other info on Bredlis would be great too. She's a bit bitey but she was abandoned so we handle her as much as possible. She has a healthy appetite too :)

Looks like a young adult to me , they do get pretty big so a larger cage would be good , 1200x600 or so ...
Almost all snakes will climb if you give them some thing to climb on, certainly wont hurt to put some branches in there.
As for the biting , she may just be hungry as they like their tucker ... it might grow out of it , but it may not

DSC_0490.jpggday mate my bredli is 120cm and about 3cm wide he is now 14 months old yes they do need a tall enclosure with a few hides.just leave him alone for a week or so then start handling a couple of minutes a day until he gets used to it at his size he probably doesnt need an enclosure anymore than 1m high x 50cm x 50cm until he outgrows it temps 32-34c a good size water bowl on cold side temps around 24-26 a couple of branches and your good to go i think "solar 17" is the expert on bredli's and if i have missed anything he would be able to tell you more..p.s mine is eating 180gm rats about every 8-10 days...

Are you serious ?
How can the amount of feeds determine the age of an animal ?

It can all be explained in the theory of "relespeedity"

A=MC2

A = Age
M = Mice
C = consumption

Thefore the Age would equal the amount of Mice Consumed multiplied by itself... If you double the mice consumption of a hatchling from birth theoretically say given the standard interval of once a week to twice a week, in six months (chronological - the only logical way to tell time interval) your snake would be a year old.... A=MC2.

I'm suprised you did'nt know this Mr Knee... it's basic interweb husbandry :)

It can all be explained in the theory of "relespeedity"

A=MC2

A = Age
M = Mice
C = consumption

Thefore the Age would equal the amount of Mice Consumed multiplied by itself... If you double the mice consumption of a hatchling from birth theoretically say given the standard interval of once a week to twice a week, in six months (chronological - the only logical way to tell time interval) your snake would be a year old.... A=MC2.

I'm suprised you did'nt know this Mr Knee... it's basic interweb husbandry :)

It's all very clear now... lol

View attachment 285965gday mate my bredli is 120cm and about 3cm wide he is now 14 months old yes they do need a tall enclosure with a few hides.just leave him alone for a week or so then start handling a couple of minutes a day until he gets used to it at his size he probably doesnt need an enclosure anymore than 1m high x 50cm x 50cm until he outgrows it temps 32-34c a good size water bowl on cold side temps around 24-26 a couple of branches and your good to go i think "solar 17" is the expert on bredli's and if i have missed anything he would be able to tell you more..p.s mine is eating 180gm rats about every 8-10 days...

Thanks for the info. Thanks also to dickyknee for the help.

I think i understand the setup she needs for now.. Butwhat will she need when fully grown? And will a tank that big stress her out??

at the size she is probably be ok just provide a few extra hides for her she will be ok in a few weeks..when she is fully grown that size may be a bit small i have mine in an enclosure that is 1500mm high....300mm of this is a cupboard on the bottom which is his hide for cool spot i have another hide in warm spot up high and a hide on the floor of enclosure it is a tv cabinet corner unit

"MOST" Bredli in Oz. are hatched in or around February so atm he/she could be one, two or even three years old depending on the previous food supply imo Bredli like it hotter than other snakes, with mine basking in the high 30's regularly and for extended periods with all my enclosures being 2 mtrs talls as they "LOVE" to climb, how big do they get well l have 4 here over 2.4 mtrs and 8+++ kgs one is nearly 10 kgs. solar 17 :)

at the size she is probably be ok just provide a few extra hides for her she will be ok in a few weeks..when she is fully grown that size may be a bit small i have mine in an enclosure that is 1500mm high....300mm of this is a cupboard on the bottom which is his hide for cool spot i have another hide in warm spot up high and a hide on the floor of enclosure it is a tv cabinet corner unit

what do you use for hides other than the furniture itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back