Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Luckily here in Adelaide we have a number of good reptile specific stores that are owned and run by enthusiasts who are experienced and knowledgable. Hopefully you can get the same situation over there.

It would be awesome if we had some reptile only pet shops open that were run by enthusiasts. That would be cool. Or even breeders opening up a shop etc.

The worst thing could of happened there's gunna be alot of mistreated reptiles out there becoz of this

Luckily here in Adelaide we have a number of good reptile specific stores that are owned and run by enthusiasts who are experienced and knowledgable. Hopefully you can get the same situation over there.

There are at least 3 stores I can think of which would fit that category - One based at Narellan, one at Liverpool and another at Kellyville. I am sure there would be others as well.

Maybe some of the reptile parks in NSW will also sell stock?!
There is at least one in WA that does.

for years i used to amke trips to melbourne to buy from shops and it was worthwhile but the more time i spent searching the abuse i would see ! I saw one guy even had dead reptiles in an enclosure ! he was well known as an abuser and several discussions on here i always used to see mentioned they would walk in and be disgusted by how he kept them but he wasnt the only one many shops were of poor standard ! there r a few out there like Amazon & mentone that i would buy from but thats it ! i saw a reali nice massive EWD and wanted him but he looked sick and for $280 but i wanted him so bad

The more I think about it, the more against it I am. Rest assured every petshop within a close distance from me will be getting regular visits to make sure their reptiles are being treated properly. Everyone should do the same for their local petshops and report them if they are abusing.

the breeders that sell to petstores should be partly responsible

It's scary to think of all these little kids saying daddy I want one and lets face it ain't hard to get a quick lisence and all these poor reptiles will be the victims of poor and misunderstood care then ditched how many stray cats and dogs are around due to people unable to handle responsibility of them and that's an easy pet to look after there should be a mandoriary course for first time reptile buyers to insure proper care and to make people realise as we all know how much actually goes into caring for our beloved reptiles. I'm sure it will be good for our hobby also with access available to help people get into the game that do the right research and everything but the negatives far out way the positives

I wont pass judgement yet.
All pet shops i seen now would not last if they were dirty or neglect their animals.
I do hope that the shops are as good or better than the pet shops and reptile shops i checked out in California.
I myself will be keeping a close eye on things.

Yay! Finally a win for impulse buying, lack of quarantine and animal neglect.

I would like to know as well. I dont think i seen anyone mention it.

The fax Gruni posted mentions "there are a lot of details to be confirmed yet". Allowed species lists, etc., would be part of these details I'd imagine.

I'm still on the fence about this one. There are some awesome reptile pet stores that know what they are doing (Amazing Amazon especially) but I fear for all the pet shops that want to get in on the game with practically no knowledge.

It's scary to think of all these little kids saying daddy I want one and lets face it ain't hard to get a quick lisence and all these poor reptiles will be the victims of poor and misunderstood care then ditched how many stray cats and dogs are around due to people unable to handle responsibility of them and that's an easy pet to look after there should be a mandoriary course for first time reptile buyers to insure proper care and to make people realise as we all know how much actually goes into caring for our beloved reptiles. I'm sure it will be good for our hobby also with access available to help people get into the game that do the right research and everything but the negatives far out way the positives
yeah just like what happens in the rest of Australia.

If you are wondering what will happen in NSW with pet stores being able to sell reptiles. You don't really have to make up theories. Just look at the other states like Victoria as for an idea of how it works and what happens.
My experiences in WA and Victoria has been that pet stores are just llike keepers. There are some great ones and some that haven't got a clue how to keep and care for them. We only have to see some of the good and bad advice on threads to realise this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back