Paranoid newbie question.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombok

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Okay... So I've been wondering about this for a while, and can't find anything on it. Anyway, so I've had my jungle python hatchling for over a month now, a lovely little guy, and I've notices that when he goes a certain way on my hand, I can feel his bottom scales lift a bit, but they go back. Is that not normal? Or am I just being paranoid. Also I posted a little while ago that he does have a pinkish belly, and that is also still there. The guy I bought him from had the snake in a tub with about six holes, and when he opened the tub it was all wet inside, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
Thanks.~

I think he may shed soon, not sure though. I'm going to text the guy I bought him from and ask him when his last shed was. It said on the box that he's shed once.

i bet its just his old skin getting ready 2 go...sounds like he is due with the timing of it all :) i wouldnt stress.

Yes the scales moving up is completely normal,
i bet it is when you tilt your hand down?
It assists in their grip on whatever they are climbing on.

the pink belly may be normal, but it's hard to guarantee without a picture.
jungles can often have pretty light belly that can look pink when they are hatchies, but again it's only going off what you said and not seeing it.

Their scales do 'move' a bit during handling. Especially if you pull back the opposite way against their scales, they catch and lift up. It's perfectly normal and not something to worry about. However, if they have been locked in an excessively moist area, he/she could have a bit of retained shed.

Phew. Hopefully it's not retained shed, but if it is, how would I get rid of it?

a soak in a luke warm shallow bath might help....if its retained shed but im thinking its just pre shed. It wouldnt hurt to do the bath thing just incase :)
I remember my coastal as a hatchy had a pink tummy....i think its normal.

Last edited:
I just looked at the pics, but as you said it's all the way down that is the pinky colour and not in only a single spot, I'd be pretty confident it's normal.
ive seen a few that started off with pink bellies but with each shed becomes less.

It's normal. It'll be when the snake tries to backtrack and the belly scales catch a bit. Then when they move forward slightly they smooth down again. My Mac does it all the time and it is no issue and has nothing to do with shedding.

It's normal. It'll be when the snake tries to backtrack and the belly scales catch a bit. Then when they move forward slightly they smooth down again. My Mac does it all the time and it is no issue and has nothing to do with shedding.

im definantly no expert but from my experience it can have to do with shedding. I had similar issues with my stimson but may have been non shedding related lol just sayin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back