Keeping snakes together

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PieBald

Reaction score
I know this has been talked about before but I would like to know for sure what snakes are fine being kept together. I know about bhps and womas. But I would really like to know if bredl pythons can be kept together. If you could also tell me what else could be kept together that would be great.

This subject has been talked about so often. Maybe the question should be "why do you want to keep them together?'

Getting real tired of this question. Snakes are not social creatures, they want to be by themselves. Give them separate enclosures or risk the well being and health of your animals, it's as simple as that.

It's been done to death.....

just read one of the many threads or posts on this subject, and I'm sure you will get all the info you desire

Getting real tired of this question. Snakes are not social creatures, they want to be by themselves. Give them separate enclosures or risk the well being and health of your animals, it's as simple as that.

Going to disagree with you there mate.
I have had 2 bredli's housed together for about 4 years now and they have never attacked each other, or mated. may have mated (who knows what happens at night;) ) but no clutches of eggs luckily
Infact at there most agressive state ( just after a feed) they will even crawl into the same hide as each other and lay low for a few days.
That being said my snakes have always been fed in separate tubs.
They don't associate my hands poking around there tank, or each other has food or foe.

I'm not saying all snakes will get along, but it can't hurt to put them together under close supervision and see how they go?
once again i just must be lucky, to not bite me or each other:D

Last edited:
This subject has been talked about so often. Maybe the question should be "why do you want to keep them together?'
My main reason, is so i can give them the biggest enclosure possible....
I wasn't 100% sure it would work out but it did for me...
Never have seen any signs of harm on either snake

Going to disagree with you there mate.
I have had 2 bredli's housed together for about 4 years now and they have never attacked each other, or mated. may have mated (who knows what happens at night;) ) but no clutches of eggs luckily
Infact at there most agressive state ( just after a feed) they will even crawl into the same hide as each other and lay low for a few days.
That being said my snakes have always been fed in separate tubs.
They don't associate my hands poking around there tank, or each other has food or foe.

4 years in terms of a snakes life span is nothing. Ive known people who had snakes together for up to 10 years and then one day, they walked in and had one snake. Heaps of people have "success" but for how long? It's only a matter of time before something goes wrong.

Im not telling anyone how to keep their snakes, but at the end of the day, why take the risk with your precious animals?

4 years in terms of a snakes life span is nothing. Ive known people who had snakes together for up to 10 years and then one day, they walked in and had one snake. Heaps of people have "success" but for how long? It's only a matter of time before something goes wrong.

Im not telling anyone how to keep their snakes, but at the end of the day, why take the risk with your precious animals?

Same could be said for dogs, cats, birds any animal really????
My brother and his girlfriend even:rolleyes:
I could just keep them separate in plastic tubs that are way to small like alot of breeders do?
but what kind of life is that for an animal..........
I was prepared to let one go (not literally) if they didn't get along but it has worked out this far.
I am always looking for signs that they haven't being playing nicely.

I am sure I'm not the only person who has kept snakes together successfully this far?
I have visited a few breeders who do this also

Should add a disclaimer
In no way should my post be taken as advice, I am simple sharing my personal experience which obviously differs from others and for that I am not sorry.

Last edited:
i kept a pair of bredli together for about 4 years, female clutchmates, identical size, it all seemed so perfect,..i could have sworn t hey loved each other, lol,...then one day i brought one in from the aviary a few hours before the other one, and when i went to put the sister back in everything about her (the one already in the cage) body language said it was a bad idea. (i didnt try it, i found another cage for her)
from that moment on she has stalked (and attacked, like really visciously) everything in her sight, with the exact same look in here eye that she had the day i went to put her sister back in,...

its not a good idea, that change of personality happened within hours.

Same could be said for dogs, cats, birds any animal really????
My brother and his girlfriend even:rolleyes:
I could just keep them separate in plastic tubs that are way to small like alot of breeders do?
but what kind of life is that for an animal..........
I was prepared to let one go (not literally) if they didn't get along but it has worked out this far.
I am always looking for signs that they haven't being playing nicely.

I am sure I'm not the only person who has kept snakes together successfully this far?
I have visited a few breeders who do this also

Should add a disclaimer
In no way should my post be taken as advice, I am simple sharing my personal experience which obviously differs from others and for that I am not sorry.

No the same thing cant be said for dogs, cats, birds or any animal because those animals are all naturally social. Snakes are not naturally social.

There is a big difference between keeping them in a large enclosure and keeping them in tiny tubs. I agree they need a good size enclosure but you need to give them a good size enclosure each instead of keeping them together in a giant one. If you only want one unit, just put a divider in there.

Last edited:
I keep a few of my adults together for most of the year, I just ALWAYS separate for feeding and never feed either in the enclosure. (Womas and Jungles)

Woma's are reptile eaters. I definitely wouldn't keep them together.

The other thing about co-habitating, is what if one snake is sick? there could be signs of sickness in their poop but you wont know which one, then the other snake will most likely get sick as well, then you have to treat both snake instead of one, or worse, you could loose both snakes.

.....It was all fun and games until someone looked too delicious....:shock:

Yeh I know what you both are getting at but have never felt that vibe between the two.......
It has worked for me thus far but I don't recommend it.
I will probably let one go (not literally) one day
I'm not going to chuck one in a tub with a heat mat right now because of a what if though.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back